Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I've just turned 27 (4 weeks ago) and I've been beekeeping for 18 mths,plus it's my only source of income.So that vote in the 20-29 column in the poll in the other post is mine,I'll be interested to see the results but I'm betting on an average of 45, that's the average in our town.

Default Re: Average age of a beekeeper

Just a couple a days short of a half a dollar here. Yea thats right. 50 cents. Of the commercial folks within 20 miles of me it would be 50, 55, 58, 60, 63, 65.

Out of the lot only one has a son in the running to "take over." Mine will be off to college in the fall to study to become an ME although my heart tells me he will likely consider coming back to run bees or some other sort of farming. His goal as an ME is to design equipment for the ag field that lessens manual labor inputs.

Besides moving bees with forklifts beekeeping is still in the stone age mechanization wise. Not sure we will ever be like auto tomato pickers or the like as much of beekeeping requires a quick look and see to determine what to do next.

Maybe someday we will have probes and sensors that will tell us how and when to feed, etc..... based on computer modeling. That would be nice labor wise but sure would take a lot of the fun out of keeping bees.

I think thats why many young people disdain beekeeping. Its a great job but if you look at if through the general American mindset it just to darn hard physically and with long crazy hours to boot on top. Not enough folks willing to put up with what it takes.

Besides that who would want to risk hundreds of thousands of dollars on capital that might die of in a heartbeat.

Let's see. I'm 58, so my average year would be all the years I have lived divided by all the years I have been a beekeeper, which is 35, or, too much math.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

26 here. You may find that you're data may be a little low because a lot of the older folks are still trying to figure out what this here televison screen sitting on the desk is for and can't get on here to post? Wheres the dang remote for this TV set? ! But you gotta hand it to them. Learning the things that they did without the use of the internet. I tell my wife all the time that I could give up the tv and every book I have in the house but I would not give up the net. Just so much information available. An example? Well humm let me think... Oh yeah BEESOURCE! Yes I will be here all night.

im 16. Dont plan to give it up any time soon. If it will ever be what I do? I dont know, dont have to know. Ill get to 10,and if that goes well maybe 25, and if that goes ok,more. You get the idea. My club has a lot of younge beeks like myself . All but one of them isnt terribly bright. We need beekeepers and prices will rise and more people will get into it on bigger scale....hopefully.
    Chris Cree
    Cree's Bees

It is good to see a young person involved. I am 48 and have kept bees for almost 39 years. I feel very old, as I have seen so much change in the industry. I went from just using terrimyicin and sulfa to fight AFB. To just about having to have a pharmacist degree to treat the bees with their new exotic diseases and pest. I went from using managment knowing that your bees would be there every time you visited to "Know Till management": You do not know what you got till you get there. I have seen the bees decline along with the number of experienced beekeepers decline also as their bees declined. A lot of practical knowledge has been lost because of this. Yes, I feel old--like a dinosaur that survived the KT extinction boundary. The young man that posted is a bright spot--beekeeping will continue. And I wish him well TK

Come on Ted you are just a kid at 48, your next 48 are always the best. Yeah I remember when AFB was the baddest dude on the block but that is soooooo 1980. I'm still trying to figure out GPP's statement that all but one of them isn't terribly bright. Whatever, glad to hear there are some young folks excited about beekeeping. Surely the death of the beekeeper has been greatly exaggerated.

How does one determine the average age of one person?
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

Come on Mark you take the year times 10 and divide it by uhhh I think 10.

Where did the poll go

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    Come on Mark you take the year times 10 and divide it by uhhh I think 10.
    That's what I thought. So my average age is 1.

What I ment is the scholarship beeks they are getting arn't being taught or mentored very well. I do have to admit, I read A LOT, which can give an edge. Every scholarship winner has to do a presentation a year after they started. Even after my first year I heard what they where saying. I would have hoped the mentor provided by the club would teach them better. Oh well. I do though think someone in the club is trying to start a youth branch which would be cool. I know mike (kingfisher) will chime in here soon. Hes farther ahead of me as far as expanding. Also a little warmer.

Here, we have to groups of beekeepers FOR THE MOST PART. Theres the older beeks who are in the way of dumping whatever into the hive, and never really expiriment with much. Just give em apistan, and hope the live. Then we have younger beeks,20's or 30's, or whatever who are trying this that and the other thing. Im not trying to be stereotypical, becuase there is exeptions.

Also in our club there is very few people who care to expand past 10 or 12 at the most. There is one who would like to go into queen production with 3 hives. Have to chuckle that one off. There one or two who have 70 ish. There is a few people who have 30 ish. As long as im happy doing bees ill keep growing my numbers. When it becomes no longer any fun, then I shall stop growing.

Thats one of the more long winded posts Ive ever had. You old geasers really get me talking.
    Chris Cree
    Cree's Bees

30 yo and 6 years playing with bugs professionally. I'll definitely be in this game in some context for the next ~30 years but can see myself transitioning from the commercial sector to a more research oriented track in the future. I like the practical skills, hands on nature and irregular schedule of the 'heavy lifting' side of beekeping now, but I've also met enough older guys and seen what 30 years of lifting supers does to a body to know it's not what I want to be doing at 60.

Im 36, but most of the folks I have been around are 50+. More importantly, both of my kids are getting into beekeeping this year (age 9 and 12). Both are saving their money to buy a nuc this spring (the deal was, kids each buy a nuc, mom and dad will provide complete hive boxes). They are very motivated and only a few dollars each from getting them.

I am also a 4H leader and starting this year our club now has a beekeeping group. As far as we have been able to determine, we are the only club in the state that has beekeeping (and one of a handful nation wide). Not including my kids, there are at least 4 other kids involved in bees (at least two want their own colony this year, the other two just want to learn and be around them to start). Hopefully, we can keep growing a whole new crop of little beeks!
    Visit us at www.farmzee.com for everything related to small farms!

Jim, you have seen as much change as I have---does that not make you feel like one of the ancients in this business?? It does me, especially when I see the new beeks trying to reinvent the wheel. Hobbyist seem to bee scared to ask a commercial beek for advice and because of that, alot of practical knowledge has been lost.TK

I have read before that the average age of beeks was about 63, and predominently male.

I wonder if the question should be: "What is the average age of the beeks who are internet friendly, and willing to share with other beeks?" So many beeks out there are still one-fella operations who learned it from _____ or grampa and have been out there all alone ever since. I would conjecture that this group has been the backbone subscriber to Bee Culture and the American Beekeeping Journal.

If you are comfy online, you are probably a bit younger, or one of us forced to learn computers for work, and stuck with things like Beesource, while avoiding things like the MMORPGs.

Also glad to see more women involved in all levels of non industrial agriculture, not just beekeeping.

Just my $ 0.02.
    Summer

In defence of Old Beeks!

As I see, part of the problem is, the new methods may be great in terms of varroa control, (or sometimes they may not be), but in any case I respect folks for trying.

But a lot of people using new methods it's all they know. They think they are pretty successful if they can just get most of their hives through the winter alive. They don't know what a good honey crop is.

My bees are in excellent locations and I use old fashioned methods. If one of my honey producing hives does less than 300 lb's I'm wanting to know what went wrong. Some of the new guys just don't know what a crop is, so consider themselves "more advanced" than the ones using old methods. There is an idea the old guys just don't get it in todays world. Any experienced old beekeeper can run hives by the new methods, bees are bees, if you understand them. I'm helping some folks using new designs and methods and their hives have started doing rather well. Or at least, as well as they can using those designs and methods.

To me, I see the bees doing a good crop, as doing it because they are well housed, healthy, and happy. And yes, I really believe a bee can be happy.

And nobody tell me they are not in this for the honey! Who doesn't want enough honey to pass around family, friends, and neighbors as much as they can eat!
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Close your ears!

I'm not in it for the honey!!

In fact, I still have about 12, 5 gallon buckets of honey in the basement from years past. I can only consume so much of it and give so much of it away.
    Last edited by Barry; 02-22-2011 at 09:10 AM.
    Regards, Barry

My son and I got into beekeeping last year. He's 17, I'm 53. Of course, he is off to college this fall to become a veterinarian so then it will be just me. Beekeeping is my current thing because I find that at 53 it is easier to heal a bee sting than a bunged up leg that the horses running over me caused.

JC

Well it takes all sorts

Not you Barry, but usually when I hear people say they didn't want any honey anyway, I tend to think that secretly they would have loved to have some.

It's just that people get locked into some dogma about some design, method, or whatever, and feel they have to defend it. When their bees were unable to store a surplus the only justification available is something like - "all part of the plan, didn't want any honey anyway".

But anyway, that's a whole different subject i guess, just thought I'd make a case for old traditional beeks, living in the past who just don't get computers or todays society, but somehow have bees that can produce.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).