I have several hives in my pasture. I don't have any critters in the pasture right now. I was going to put some goats in the pasture. Is this going to be a problem with the hives already in the pasture. Should I move the hives or will they be OK where they are at with the goats?

I have my hives fenced off and my horses will still reach over the fence and mess with things sometimes but it works ok. If they weren't fenced I think they'd knock them over.

I'd fence off the hives so the goats can't knock them down.

Cows and Llamas will knock the hives around. They will rub against them when scratching themselves. Fallow Deer will eat the comb if the hives get knocked around. Goats will try to climb on them. I would definitly fence them. Mine are in a pasture that we rotate other animals in, I just put them on one side, and pulled a hot wire off the regular fence to create my own little bee yard. I am wondering about ducks or geese, would they eat the grass or the bees. Don't really like to have to mow the bee yard, but need to keep the grass down a little.

I HAVE ABOUT 10 CHICKENS IN WITH BY BEES(100' X 30' FENCED AREA). I HAVE NEVER SEEN THEM EAT ANY BEES. THE ROSTER WILL GET ON TOP OF THE HIVES TO CROW BUT THEY GENERALLY SEEM TO CO-EXIST WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS

I have chickens also. I HAVE seen them eat a bee but I can't say I've seen them eat beeS. They seem to decide it wasn't so good of an idea.

Hi DB
    I have goats just in front of my hives and have never had a problem. Just make sure that your fence is working or they may knock over the hives. I also have a pony in mine and have no problems, but I have seen where a Horse was stung to death, so I wouldn't keep them anywhere near.

I have four horses that can get within a couple of feet of the hives. Last year my bees went vicious on me. I saw a horse run from the vicinity hives once or twice, but not any more than they run from anything else that gets them worked up. The hives are on the other side of an electric fence. I am afraid they would kick them over or rub on them and knock them over.

I think the reports of animals being stung to death are mostly when they are in a limited space. Really viscious bees will chase you a hundred yards. Most won't chase you more than 5 yards.

At one site last year, I had a hive that within 2 months, turned into a nasty one. I would drive up to the site and they would be hitting my windshield at least 50 feet away. By the time I exited the vehicle and walked up the hive, hundreds of bees were at my head. Opening the hive meant a swarm cloud thats hard to discribe.
    I did kill the queen after having trouble locating her, and was stung through the full suit about 15 times.
    You never know when a hive could get nasty and I personally think that it would be a shame for an animal to go through something like that. Think how bad it could happen if it was on a weekend that you were not home for a couple of days.
    Why chance losing bees to cold weather if they were accidentally knocked over in winter.

I was thinking of moving them about 75 yards away from where they are right now, (outside of the pasture, but I am afraid it will disrupt the spring honeyflow, which will hit hard in about 2-3 weeks. How do you all feel about moving them at this time of year? Thanks, Duane.

Its ok to move them, but not just 75 yards. The field bees will go back to the spot where the hives were, and starve to death. You need to move them at least 2, better 3, miles away to disrupt the homing pattern they have for where they are now. Leave them there for a couple of weeks, and then move them back to that spot 75 yards away.

http://www.beesource.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000274.html http://www.beesource.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000348.html

I move them all the time as far as 100 yards or more. The method I describe in the above posts, so I won't post it again. Also all the people who have never tried it but insist it can't work give you their opinion.

I have never met anyone who tried it who was disappointed.

No matter how you move them, two feet, two miles or 100 yards you will disrupt them alot for one day and a little for a second day. If you just move them 75 yards without taking the above described precautions they will be disrupted far longer and you will lose a lot of your field force.

If you do get goats, make sure you have a good high fence. They are difficult animals to keep fenced in, and they may not be too smart, but they are good jumpers. Also, they get their heads stuck in some of the wire fecning if they have horns, and I would hate to see a goat get its head stuck in a fence with bees that took offense for whatever reason.

Hi,

I raise dairy goats and boer goats. Usually goats don't seem to bother the hives. I have never had them knock one over. But have had the the kids jump on the top of them from time to time. Ocasionally they come over when I'm working the bees and get a sting from sticking there nose in but soon learn to keep there distance. Once I did have a small girl jump straight in the center of a hive playing and then keep jumping trying to have me save it, just not smart enough to run away. I had to take it to the barn and remove the stingers and bees. Keep and eye on the little ones as the can do unpredicatable things from time to time. Smoke the bees well when the goats are near to keep the bees docile and to prevent them stinging.

Clay