Thread: Removal of Hive

brianzebra Guest

Question

I have what appears to be a bee hive (it's hidden) inside a pile of tree branches in my backyard. I see all the bees going in and out of the pile. I just bought my home, so I don't know how long it's been there or how big it is.

Instead of paying an exterminator to get rid of the bees, are there any beekeepers in the San Diego County, California area who would be interested in coming and taking away the bee hive?

It's not unheard of for a honey bee colony to nest in a pile of wood, but it's unlikely. All of the bees I've seen in such places are bumble bees.

Just two weeks ago I exterminated a very large hive of hornets for some people who thought they had honey bees. It was in a compost heap too. They were comming and going so often that it did look like a very busy colony of honey bees from a distance.
    Bill

I had a similar situation as well, and they turned out to be yellow jackets, coming and going just like a colony as well.

Cool

brianzebra, To answer your question, YES, there might be someone in your area that might hive the bees if they are honeybees. Contact the CA or San Diego Beekeepers Association or get in touch with your local cooperative extention someone like that will be able to get someone to contact you and take them away or suggest an exterminator. Steve