Lost three swarms today. Two lit 30' up and can't reach. One on the ground. Set up hive with lemon grass and ladies marched right in,,, queen looked like a virgin,, small. Hour later while working on trying to get higher ups down had the pleasure :mad: of watching swarm in box head for the hills. Not a happy camper. At least I've got three hives I will not have to re-queen this year. Sad thing is had three swarm traps with LG around on property and no takers. I know they don't like to move in close to home but still none? Oh well give new Queens time to start laying and it will be splits for them the rest of year. No honey might as well make some bees.

Perhaps all is not lost. When I got in this evening 2 high swarms had not yet departed and all swarm traps had scout activity. One looks promising. About 50 scouts on landing board and some had taken up guard type activities. Chalenging others as they lit on box.

Keep us posted!
    To everything there is a season....

When you live in the country a Deer slug in a shot gun will take of the high swarms, if you can hit the limb just right it will come down.

LMN - These ladies were wise to that one. As you can see in pics both are on limb 4" - 6" in diamiter if not larger. Forth image is swarm 2 marching into hive for their one hour layover between flights. :mad:
    Front is suppose to be moving through tonight and morning. Temps are suppose to be in low 60's so I figure they will hold off till Monday for new home. Preferable one of the bait hives.

http://www.robleons.com/scouts.jpg
    http://www.robleons.com/swarm1.jpg
    http://www.robleons.com/swarm2.jpg
    http://www.robleons.com/swarm2grnd.jpg

[size="1"][ May 13, 2006, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: onlygoodSHBisdeadone ][/size]

Don't forget the mirror trick of shining them with sunlight to get them to move down the tree.

Waya
    WayaCoyote

Hey Waya

Not familiar with the mirror trick?

Lew

I've never tried it, but others told me that you use the mirror to shine sunlight onto the swarm which causes them to seek shade. People have reported walking a swarm down a tree with it.

Yesterday, a guy told me that flashing one around overhead will cause a flying swarm to land.

Waya
    WayaCoyote

interesting!

Lew

Waya- hadn't heard that one either but being in a patch of woods I had to much shade to do any good. Latest is swarms are still in place with even heavier activity at one box. At times I would say 200 - 250 scouts inspecting so I'm fairly hopefull they will accept. Other boxes were getting 10-20 on an average.

i'm guessing that the swarms were in your bee yard and if thats the case, one way to keep a swarm from flying the coop is to reach into one of the hives and take a frame of brood and give it to the swarm, this works most of the time as they won't want to abandon the brood. as for them all taking off, i remember a couple times loosing a swarm and i watching them flying away into the yonder horizon, (they do fly fast, don't they) and kicking dirt in there general deriction saying "go on then you ungratful little druids, take your queen and p!$$ off then, i don't need bees like you anyway" well, it made me feel a little better but these hives that swarmed even though they have a yound queen i requeened them anyway with queens less like to swarm and that were greatful for the home they live in
    Will Gruenwald Chilliwack BC

Chillard-- Thats what I had intended but got to tied up trying to retreive other swarm they left before I got back to them. I have a feeling I found out what they didn't like. upon inspecting combs in box there was one frame that had about 10 dead brood in cells. I don't think they liked that so much as I believe scouts drew them out because they resettled in a tree not 25 yards from box. Both swarms are still sitting tight by nightfall. Temps still in low 60's today and mid 60's tuesday. Chainsaws looking better and better all the time.... Little ingrates.

Well this morning with the help of a 12' ladder, 20' gopher pole and a 10' piece of EMT conduit (you do the math) I was able to get to the lower of two the with a box and hive em. If they want to leave now queens going to have to get her but through an excluder. I know its not impossable but I'm going to make'm work for it. Its to cold yet to pull a brood frame from other hive. Temps are 49 so I'll give it time to warm up.

wooo whoooo new score! Bees 1 --- me 2. Now if I can only coax the last one out of the tree. Been 5 days. They stay much longer their going to start building comb.

[size="1"][ May 17, 2006, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: onlygoodSHBisdeadone ][/size]