Does anyone know of a source for Dadant deep foundation, hives and frames? I've always rather liked the deeper frames and was considering experimenting with what works better in a more horizontal hive. I think the deeps would work better in a one story high, long hive, but I don't know of anyone who sells any kind of equipment this size or foundation or frames etc.

Michael,
    http://www.westernbee.com/ Call Toll-Free 1-800-548-8440 has the 11 1/4" frames, although when you ask for them they will say they don't. They have been doing this every time I called since 1978. Then the gal will tell you that there might be some in the attic but they won't fit real well. The only problem is that the bottom bar is a bit narrower than the bottom slots of the end bars. I nail them with a 2" brad gun and Gorilla Glue and they hold just fine. Dadant has the 10 5/8" foundation for the grooved top and bottom bar frame. I ordered from both just a few months ago.

If you haven't read Brother Adam's book, "Beekeeping at Buckfast Abbey", you aren't yet a Beemaster. He tried all sizes of hives and came to the conclusion that a twelve frame 20" X 20" brood chamber with 11 1/4" deep frames was the way to go. I visited him in 1978, came home and built ten of these hives. I had twelve last year, and now have started 16 with deep frames but Lanstroth dimensions..... to be able to use up all of my old equipment. There is no more of a heart warming site than a Dadant deep framed plugged out with capped brood....yummee.

I have run deep frame hives side by side with langstroth double brood since spring '79, and the deeps beat out the langstroths year after year. Well, maybe the most heart warming site is a 12 frame deep brood box stacked with ten square medium depth supers filled with 400 + lbs. of honey.

Forgot the hives...... 1X12 pine is often only what ?, .... 11 3/8 wide ? So I add a cleat or a slatted rack with adjusted beespace to correct this.

Sweinty in Denmark also sells the frames, but the freight will kill you. After 25 years I just ordered square queen excluders from them and have been making the frames just today. They sell two kinds of polystyrene hives in all depths and probably wood too. http://www.swienty.com/

Check them out... obviously a Class A supplier, in Denmark.

http://photomail.photoworks.com/SfwO...3=on&14=on&15= on&16=on&17=on&18=on&19=on&20=on&21=on

This link might work to show you a pic of one of my big jumbo hives this last year, luckily it only made eight supers, or I would have need a firetruck to get them down.
    http://photomail.photoworks.com/SfwO...3=on&14=on&15= on&16=on&17=on&18=on&19=on&20=on&21=on

This was same size crop on a double lansgstroth. Drew out six deep boxes of foundation too. At different site a few miles away, Davies Buckfast queen.

Thanks for the help. I wonder why they don't make all the hive dimensions consistent with lumber dimensions? I'm sure they were at one time. But the lumber keeps shrinking.

I think I will do what I've been doing with the Lanstroths, and build a double brood chamber 32 1/2" x 19 7/8" x 12 5/8" and use it on a long table with supers next to it or I can put two standard supers side by side on top of it. This double brood chamber holds 22 frames. I can put two regular bound queen excluders on top and them supers, or put them on the bottom and put the supers on the table behind it, or forget the excluders, because the queen tends to stay in the brood chamber anyway. Don't think I want to lift 12 frame supers.

Sad

I tried to view the photos. When I clicked the link it requested a password. Is there another way to view these?

How do you arrange for overwintering? Do you just keep them in the one 12 frame brood box for the winter?

I just built a double Dadant deep box and a three box long screened bottom board. So I can put the double wide Dadant box on the front and a stack of supers either on top of that or in back of the double box. The double box holds 22 frames (which I got from Western Bee). The botom bar doesn't fit right, as you said, but they go together fine with glue and staples, as you also said.

I just ordered some small cell plastic foundation from Dadant. I'll just put it in the groove at the top, force some split pins in the sides and leave the 2 inch gap at the bottom. That way they can build what they want in the space at the bottom.

I also build a couple of 5" spacers to add to a medium box for starting the hive out. I made one that fits on the bottom of one of my medium 5 frame nucs and one that fits the bottom of a 10 frame 6 5/8" medium box. That way I can start this out in a 5 frame Dadant deep nuc (I have a several top feeders for them also) and then move it to a ten frame box and then move it to the double box. I figure 22 frames of small cell Dadant deep is plenty for an unlimited brood nest and plenty of winter feed for this part of the country. Maybe by next year I'll have an idea what I think of the arrangement. It makes sense if you're trying to run a hive horizontally to make it one tall story instead of one short story.

When I get some queens hatched here in a couple of weeks, I'll start the 5 frame with some shaken small cell bees. I'm not sure how far they will get this year, but I guess I'll find out.

Thanks for all the advice.