The life of a farmer is tough. If the weather does not get you something else will. People wonder why when they drive in the country they see abandoned farms and homesteads. It's years like this that caused people to just pack up and leave out of frustration,starvation or just plain going broke. On a smaller scale I can relate. I went into last winter with almost 3 deeps loaded with bees and honey. I left 150 lbs or more in each hive for the bees. They where doing fine in early spring only to find them all dead in late spring, almost all the honey available. I haved new packages and they where doing real well. The weather went from cold and wet to no rain for 30+ days and then just a drizzle. Nothing to eat so they where not putting up any extra honey. Yesterday I found my haves completely destroyed by bears. They ate everything including the comb. So I get to start all over in the spring.

I have my hives set up on platforms built on steel poles 8' above the ground. I designed them to keep the bears out. Some how some smart guy figured out how to climb steel poles. I will slather them with axle grease next time and see what he thinks of that. If I see him this fall I may just be using bear grease instead.

Wow--that's a darned shame Whitey. Wish you better luck next time.
    "Younz" have a great day, I will.

That's rough. Keep the spirit. Say the serenity prayer, and keep on truckin.

George-
    Dulcius ex asperis

I am under six feet, and I can jump close to eight feet.
    Consider that a large hungry bear might not have to use the poles to get to good-smelling food eight feet off the ground. Perhaps some kind of railing might make it harder.
    James Burns
    Science is...the acquisition of reliable knowledge about the world (Jared Diamond).

Electric fence? Works on domestic animals. If power is a problem solar or battery models are availible.

Hi Whitey,

You've got bears!! I'm over between Duvall and Woodinville. I've never seen any bears around here. I'd definitely go with an electric fence and just keep the hives on the ground. It must be a nightmare working up 8'.
    Sam
    Beekeeping since 2004 - 1 hive, 3 dogs, 3 cats, 2 donkeys, 3 sheep, 2 goats, 5 acres

Get a reloading kit. 30.06 shell = 14 cents.

Hawk
    KC0YXI

When does your bear season start?it opens here in a couple of weeks and there are a few of them that are going to the sausage factory!