Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just wanted to get feedback on others opinion of the honeyflow in your areas.

Hate to be pessimistic- but so far I'm not all that impressed with the honey flow in this area (MO/AR border). We had good rain last week, and this week has been sunny, but the bees are not gettin'-after-it like on a good flow. I know it's a little early to make predictions... but so far not the best year for me. What's your thoughts?

80 to 120 lbs on some hives here in S. MS

It's been dry here. Mine aren't doing that well.

I once walked around and lifted on the hives and was amazed. Bumper crop! most of them I couldn't lift. Then I remembered I screwed the bottom board down to the pallets for movement.

I'm expanding most of my hives from 1-1/2 to 2 or 2-1/2. So many are just getting the supers added this coming week. I haven't checked the others yet but I did inspect 24 hives installed on deep foundation less than three weeks ago, and while some have 5 or 6 frames drawn, a few have all drawn and filled with either brood or honey. Unbelievable. Looks promising this year. (I hope after the last two.)

The main flow with clover is not yet here.

SUCKS! One super only total. Maybe more will come. I have not kept records from last year to compare well. But I am making lots of splits, had lots of swarms. So I am entering the summer in good shape. Can't pay the bills that way...

normally can pull supers by May 10 here.Its been nice weather but cool to cold at night I was wondering if that would slow them down they just dont seam to be putting much honey away.Hay cutter are running full steam so maybe will get some on clover regrowth.

Seems good here, and swarming wasn't vicious....yet...baited a few, caught a few, watched a few fly away...

Hi, I live in Pittsburgh, PA... how do you know when/what the honey flow is? I see lots of flowers and trees busting out all over, but not sure if that means honey flow? Most of ya'all seem very knowlegeable on when and what type of honey flow exists for a particular area? Any ideas for the Pittsburgh area?

Thanks,
    D

I did a mini inspection on all 10 of my hives and both nucs. They are full of bees, brood and honey but don't seem to be moving up into the supers as I had hoped. I do not have queen excluders so what can I do to encourgage them to keep moving up? Our honey flow should be started already!

For DRJSRKQPTVSKGS or something like that,

There are many flows and depends on which one your management will take advantage of.

Usually the bees are replacing stores in the hive bodies for the fruit bloom and sometimes alot of the dandelion. I see most of the supers being filled by the time clover blooms out, which has not happened yet.

If you want an earlier flow, shake your bees down by one box, and add the supers. This will promote earlier or stronger swarm urge, but you can get an earlier honey crop. You will get a much better quality honey, but most beekeepers just wait to see what they get as dictated by the bees.

Good management (Fall and Winter) by you the beekeeper and having the bees build up early in the spring lets the bees collect and begin filling the supers earlier.

[This message has been edited by BjornBee (edited May 08, 2004).]

My bees were filling the frames kinda quick then abruptly stopped. I think because it turned cool for a spell, and they have been busy swarming.

I have many frames in two hives the uncapped honey and they don't appear to be in any rush to get it capped. I also have at least 1 empty undrawn frame in each hive of 20 frames, and this is puzzling.

Anyway, my report from Mineral, Virginia, bout center of the state.

Hey y'all, I know its been a while since I've posted. I don't really have another flow to compare it to, but all I have to say is WOW. I know I talked to some of you about my problems with one of my hives - my queen died and I saw a virgin hatch. Well, everything went fine(the virgin must have mated, etc), I've got more larvae than I've seen at one time before and of course I finally have eggs again. But the hive that had a queen the whole time is going gangbusters. Even though they only overwintered in one hive body, it looks like I should be able to get a few supers off of it. It is HEAVY with honey right now. Thanks to everyone thats helped me over the past few months - HM, WM, BB, FBM, MB, Fro, forgive me if I'm missing anyone. Spring is so exciting!

Well, it seems the honey flow is in full swing here now. I have a hive that is on a scale, and it's been gaining about 2 pounds per day for the last several days. The bees still don't seem to be tripping over eachother, but at least they're bringing in nectar and making lots of new wax.

The other day I looked in some tulip poplar flowers to check for nectar... LOADED. In one flower, the nectar poured out (wasn't rainwater). I tasted some of the thicker nectar- it was sweet. Bees are on it but not as many as I would think. White clover is out now, so there's lots of competition I guess.

Apple tree flow is in full swing right now. Started with nucs two weeks ago, almost ready for second brood box! About 25-50 bees per apple tree, however there were 20 m.p.h. winds at the time!

Blackberries here are getting buds already from our unseasonably warm and dry Spring. I hope my new bee packages are up and ready to go when they bloom. I hived them about a month ago and they have many young bees out on training flights in front of the hive. They're working on the second hive bodies now. Hopefully the blackberries won't blossom too soon. Darn that global warming!

Here in NW New Mexico I put one deep super on about two weeks ago. Just plastic foundation. They've drawn about 70% of it and half of that is filled. Winds were 50mph yesterday and are predicted to be the same today.

They're really bringing it in, but I don't know what "it" is! They're forgoing the clover, privet, holly & gallberry and beelining into the woods behind them! Anyway, they're collecting like mad. I'm going to order 5 more honey supers today so I don't run out!

Big Grin

Snowing here this morning, and supposed to be in the 20's tonight, so the honeyflow hasn't quite started here yet. Maybe in about 6 weeks!

------------------
    Gregg Stewart

Here, in west-central IN, the black locust began blooming a few days ago. Did a quick check of 8 hives last night and found that 3 are storing nectar, but just beginning (1-3 frames in 1st super). If I've added it up right, the Yugo queens that were installed this year should be hatching their first batch of larvae about now.....(last night saw what I hope was orientation flights of newbees at the hive w/ 3 frames being worked in the honey super).....hopefully in time to free up more foragers to gather that pure, sweet, nectar from the 1st flow!

Yah, I'm pumped.

It has been a cool spring so far. Just went through a snow storm!! Foot of wet snow is delaying everything here. Bees should be in the trees, but have been trapped in the hive for four days, able to get out this afternoon to bring in pollen. Honeyflow starts in 6 weeks up here, I think the hives are building up to good strength all considered. HIves will need to forage on the dandilions soon, they are running out of stores. I really am glad I spent the extra money on those protien patties. They have devowered every bit of them.
    All in all, wintered less than 10% losses, and increased the operation by 35% with splits.

Ian