Some time ago I asked Kim Flottum if I could publish some of Charles Koover's columns that appeared in Bee Culture. I have finally started doing so. The first one will be a construction sequence for Manley Extracting Frames.
    http://nordykebeefarm.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=6
    Anyone familiar with these frames? Does anyone use them anymore?
    Jon, N6VC/5

Sorry Jon. I just finished reading this thread..
    David

I guess these are not familiar to anyone. I was hoping to find someone who was using them so I could take advantage of any updates that have taken place in the interim.
    Jon, N6VC/5

OK, there is a drawing out there now with more information to come. I had forgotten about Charles' solution to the frame spacing question that has been floating around here for the last couple of months. It's simple, cheap and eligant!
    Jon, N6VC/5

Jon

How can both the top and bottom bars be 19" long?

Dave,
    You are absolutly right. I was so focused on the widths being the same that I got carried away.
    Thanks for noticing the error.
    OK, the error has been fixed. If it still shows the same diminsion on your browser, you will have to hit refresh to see the correct dimisions.
    Jon, N6VC/5

I don't think they would fit in my extractor. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'll have to take a closer look.

I rather like the DE design where the frame is all about 3/4" wide and there is a plastic spacer that slides onto the top bar. It is always quite easy to uncap.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Michael,
    Stick around. When I get to the finish on this one, there is a way to get the spacing using 1-3/8" or 1-1/2" endbars that will probably work with your extractor. I had completely forgotten about it until I read it again in in this article.

I'm not familiar with the DE design. Do you mind expounding? Maybe this is where this design evolved to.

The Manley Extracting Frame was originally developed in Australia and at the time the article was written, there was only one commercial bee outfit that used it in the U.S. That's why there is a reference to 40mm because that was the original width.
    Jon, N6VC/5

Australia? I thought they were developed by R.O.B. Manley, Britain's premier commercial apiarist. (Maybe he got the idea from Oz?) Anyway, I encountered these frames occasionally in medium extracting supers in upstate NY apiaries. Evidently some bkprs have used them in North America, maybe extensively, but I have never seen them in catalogs. They are easier to uncap, and the frames don't slam around in transport.

The frames most of us use for extracting are actually brood frames, in style. So it is a compromise and not the easiest for uncapping. The Manley frame is much more suited to the purpose of uncapping and extraction, especially radially.
    The blade of the knife is run right along the top and bottom bars and there is no guesswork.

R.O.B. used 11 1/4" Dadant deep brood combs, like Bro. Adam (optimum size for brood).

Manley used 6 1/4" wide-shouldered frames for supers (ideal for honey). Bro. Adam did basically the same, but preferred a narrow honey-super frame, with end bars that were same with as top/bottom bars, and he spaced them with notches in the super.

When I had Manley extr. frames I did not really enjoy the advantages, because I was uncapping with a plane. Still like the basic idea though.

Joel
    N1AEP

http://www.beeworks.com/D.E.Details.htm
    http://www.beeworks.com/D.E.Hive.htm

Unfortunately there are no pictures of the frames so I will try to describe them.

The hive is built with wider ests and longer ears on the ends of the top bars, but that, of course, won't work with Langstroth hives.

The frames are several pieces and you glue and nail them together. The top bar and end bars are the same width. The end bars have a groove for the foundation (very nice and eliminates the need for split pins etc. but this wouldn't work on Langstroths unless you make your own foundation because the foundation would have to be 1/4" or more wider than it currently is). The spacer is a piece of plastic that slips over the end of the top bar. The spacing on them is 1 1/2" (which I would prefer was 1 1/4"). But uncapping is a breeze with the narrower top bar and end bars. The only part that sticks out past the frame is the plastic spacer.

They are quite different from the "Manley" version in that the Manley version seems to have end bars that ARE the spacers but all the way down.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Michael,
    Thanks for the partial explanation of the D.E. What is an ESTS?
    The Manley bars are self spacing with no opening between endbars.
    I will post further details on the other site so I don't have to do it more than once. This tidbit is how one commercial users extracts them.
    I use 1-1/16" on my topbars. The manley's are 1-1/8"
    Jon, N6VC/5

>What is an ESTS?

Sorry. Should have been "rests".

OK, I thought I was going to learn another acronym.
    Did you get a chance to read the extracting information. I thought that was a hoot!
    I would love to see that in a video or first hand for that matter.
    Jon, N6VC/5