Thread: Storm damage

Came across my first real heartbreak yesterday. I was robbing from my yards and as I drove up to one I could not see the hives. I figured that the soybeans were really tall. As I got closer I saw the hives scattered about, nothing flying. I think all of the boxes were intact, some signs of wax turning color from element exposure so I figured it had been a while. I talked with the landowner: she thought that bears lived in the area and did not expect that vandals were a problem. Since it was 10-12 hives I doubted kids knocked them all about and since there was not any scratch marks or damaged woodenware I doubted the bears. Then she showed me the downed and cut up trees in her yard, her beans poles blown over. She said there was a fierce storm that switched directions a while back.

I am grateful that my other locations were okay. Do beekeepers have access to the equivalent of crop insurance?

------------------
    Joe Miller
    nursebee@juno.com

I've had whole hives blow over in storms before. A 60 mph+ wind will knock over a tall hive.

Round Top, New York - Northern Catskill Mtns.

I do not know of any "livestock" insurance for bees.

I too, have had hives blown over by the wind. Mine, usually happen in the winter as the center of gravity moves up with the cluster.

You fellows have just explained to me what I am going to do with the treated fence boards I have stacked out back. Windbreak, here we come.
    Ox

The windbreak will also help the bees out with the winter and just fighting the wind on a windy day.