Electric or torch and why? please explain. Thanks. Pembroke

I have a torch. It takes a lot of heat to burn a brand deep into a box and I'm branding equipment that is out in the field with no electricity around.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

What MB said.Go with gas.

Default Branding supers

Is it better to brand before or after painting?

It's much easier and quicker before painting. The paint really slows down getting it to burn into the box.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

What brand iron do you have, and where did you get it.
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

Default Branding Iron

Got a Brand New Industries Model 2100 Heavy Duty Brander with 1" movable characters. I branded some new, unpainted equipment today and will make a trip to the apiary soon to brand the painted boxes. It took a lot of time to get to branding temp but burned in pretty deep in a few seconds. I'm pleased with it so far.

Default Branding Irons

Takes longer to heat the iron with movable type. There is a thermal disconnect because it is not all one piece of metal. Once you start using it to brand boxes the difference diminishes because you are pressing the metals together when you apply pressure to the iron against the box.

I have a cousin who owns a shingle mill powered by a Case steam tractor. He goes around to shows with it and sells branded shingles to help cover costs. He uses the burner from a turkey fryer to heat up his brands. Works really well. I keep meaning to ask him where he gets the brand though, he has to change the date on them every year.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

Branding painted boxes with my propane EverHot Iron is a pain in the butt. The paint bubbles and peels around the location where you are branding. And that's not just around the lettering but the whole head of the propane branding iron. For me, I leave my painted boxes alone and only brand unfinished boxes and covers, etc.

It takes too much work to scrape, sand and paint after branding a painted box.

Just my opinion...but do what works for you.

I use a "roto zip" you can cut a name or number really fast with one, I set mine about one eight inch deep before I paint. It really looks great and canot be changed. Do it on the sides before you put the hive together. It dosnt seem to bother the bees much if you do it on a full hive. Bill
    Bill Latimer