Thread: Plants for bees

Does anyone know of a book or website that has an extensive listing of plants that are beneficial to bees and how beneficial they are?

Alright now; I have about a thousand blackberrie bushes, in full bloom. For the life of me, I have not seen more than 1 honey bee on a given plant. I swear; I have spent as long as an hour at a time inspecting these bushes, last year and this one.

Blackberries are listed on the last link, with an astericks even indicating a surplus of honey may be produced.

I'm just not seeing it.

I'm seeing the same thing with dandelions, but I figure it's just the abundance of blooms right now keeping the bees thinly spread.

All the rubrus genus of plants are excellent nectar gathering plants, these include Raspberry, blackberry, wineberry, salmonberry and others.

The issue is very likely that your bees know of a better nectar bearing crop within easy forage, and bees tend to stick with a single nectar bearing crop when possible.

Well, that's what I thought, but the supers are pretty slow filling up, they aren't capping anything, I have undrawn foundation that has been as such for weeks. The blackberries are in complete bloom. Let's see how these 3 new hives do since they are brand new and the blackberry bushes are very close.; I'll check it out closely on Saturday.

Doesn't anyone preach the gospel of "Honey Plants of North America" by John Lovell 1926 published by AI ROOT? It is the source for me.

BULLSEYE BILL,

Thanks for the links!

Mark

Your welcome,
    Buckeye//// Bullseye Bill

Scott, I have raspberries in full bloom right next to my two hives and I haven't seen a single Italian on them either. Just some small native bees, I guess... My husband thinks my bees are lazy, but I don't think so as they are bringing in quite a bit of pollen from elsewhere.

[This message has been edited by honeylocust (edited May 14, 2004).]

Plenty of pollen coming in here to and a medium flow of honey. I live in an agricultural blind spot, there aren't many crops within 2 miles and I know they collect nectar from other sources, but when I say I have thousands of blackberry bushes, I'm not exagerating. I take a 4-wheeler through them once a week or so, takes a couple of hours, less than a doze honey bee sightings.

Lots of smaller bees akin to the blueberry bee, lots and lots of small butterflys but no honey bees.

[This message has been edited by scott_dixon (edited May 14, 2004).]

One thing I've noticed with my hives is that they don't seem to work anything immediately nearby. I was wondering if anyone else noticed this phenomenon? I have blackberry bushes surrounding my hives as well, but they ignored those and went after ones about 50-100 yards away.

It seems that way sometimes, but I think it's just irelevant to them if it's 10 feet or a half a mile.

My uneducated opinion would be that some bushes of blackberries have more nectar than others. My experience is that nature is mostly very efficient and the bees would locate the most efficient source of nectar or pollen - whatever the real need of the hive is at the time - all things considered.

[This message has been edited by ox (edited May 16, 2004).]

dtwilliamson Guest

My blackberry bushes are also in full bloom... I have bees all over them... the bushes seem to hummm. Mine seem to love them.

Dan