http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...whornets21.xml

http://www.physorg.com/news91263719.html

Don't know if these are Japanese hornets, or as deadly as the article says, but still interesting and somewhat scary.

This is the same wasp that made the video rounds on this site and Animal Kingdom. I was not aware that it was in China, but the video, I believe, cited its habitat as possibly Hokaido, a northern Japanese Island. The articles above indicate that it acclimates to French/European climates due to global warming. The video and other articles indicate that it is well suited to very cold climates and hibernates in winter. I don't think global warming has anything do do with it. This is, indeed, frightening. I can see another AHB variant on its way to the US. Crap, just when I was getting an handle on varroa and AHB, now this.
    Hobbyist

it said "smaller than the European hornet" while the giant things from Japan they show on Animal Planet are the largest hornets. These may be a problem, but they aren't the giant ones.

hmmm, maybe not--the second article refers to it as the biggest, and looking up "vespa velutina" it comes back as the giant Japanese one......

Good times; I disliked yellowjackets....

The cited article specifically mentions Vespa velutina. This is the wasp mentioned in the National Geographic video. From Wikipedia, "[T]the Asian giant hornet (Vespa mandarinia, known colloquially as the Yak Killer hornet), the world's largest wasp, is a native of temperate and tropical Eastern Asia. Its body length is between 27 mm (1.1 inches) and 45 mm (1.8 inches), with a wingspan of about 76 mm (3 inches). Queens may reach a length of 55 mm (2.2 inches)." It appears that both wasps are found in China. The former is in Japan. Both target honey bees. Either way, we are in deep !@#$.
    Hobbyist

And how do we tell the difference between a European hornet and an Asian one?
    Bee all you can Bee!
    http://www.hamiltonapiary.net

> And how do we tell the difference between a
    > European hornet and an Asian one?

Find a flagpole, and compare the flag with your
    World Atlas to determine which country you are
    in, and hence, which continent?

Maybe I need to draw myself a diagram:
    </font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Basic Concept ----&gt;

???
    O
    -+-
    | &lt;- Me
    / \</pre>[/QUOTE]