Thread: They were mad!

Got home late, looked like it might rain but decided to add my supers as the brood boxes were about 70% full. Figured that I might as well take my time and see how the girls were doing, Clean out the top box feeders They are starting to build comb in there and leave them a little syrup to help them out. The first hive went well but the girls were not in the mood for me to help them out. About half way through working the second hive, it started to rain and the girls were not amused and let me know about it. Hurried and got everythng covered back before they got wet. The second hive is a package with Italian workers with a Russian queen, some of the young hive bees seem to be her babies, they are darker and a lot less yellow than the Italians. Lots of brood in both hives. Guess all is well. Did notice a couple of small black spots that moved by themselves on the landing board. Any reason for concern?

Two things,I wouldn't feed while the honey flow is own, especially if you have added your honey supers. In regard to the black spots moving around on the bottom board, if those black dots are roughly the size of a lady bug, welcome to the world of small hive beetles.

I generally don't see SHB on the landing board, but do quite frequently see them on the bottom board. Its also common to see them in the spaces between the end bars. If you're unsure what a SHB looks like, checkout:

http://www.csl.gov.uk/science/organ/...sheets/SHB.pdf
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

No, a lot smaller than a SHB, almost like a spec of dust. Mite maybe?

Sad

Do a drop test, or a sugar roll a.s.a.p.
    If you can see v-mites walking around the entrances, you have issues.

John Russell

Did you get what WBELL said? It's practically immoral to feed while the honey supers are on. You're making honey out of sugarwater. When that junk hits the market, allof our reputations suffer for it. Please don't.

Your dark spots sound too small for a varroa mite. But you do need to find out what it is. Borrow a magnifying lens for your camera, Search the web, collect a sample of them in a medicine vial. Somethings got to work. Do you have an extension service near?

Hawk
    KC0YXI

Robert:
    OK, no more syrup for the girls. I'll get out my magnifying glass and see what the little black spots are. Have not seen any moving lately. Bee poop? I'll post as to what it turns out to be.