Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Question

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Saeed 
#1 ·
I have a 10" * 10" * 1 ' with 2" diameter opening bird house in the back yard. Suddenly , I noticed it came to bee a bee hive with so many bees inside and out. Three months later , I got a beekeeper expert to get the honey . Due to the design of the bird house, we had to break its top surface but not badly damaged. We found that bees are attaching the wax to this top surface. We got hte honey and wax out and the bees started rebuilding their honey comps. Now , I made a new beehive "langsroth ... or what so ever", and I want to transfer the bees to the new hive.

Anyone have an idea how I can do this?

Thanks and I appreciate your help.

#2 ·
assuming you have frames that fit inside your langstroth style hive box, you can take the comb and attach it to the frames with string or yarn and then place those tied up frames in your box and brush the bees into your hive.

if your bird house hive will fit inside of the new hive box you can put it inside your new hive box, so the bees get used to coming in and out your new box.

if this is not possible you will have to force the bees to move; try to do this right before sundown , so when the are moved and become active the next day they are in their new hive and new location.

good luck

george

#3 ·
Thanks for your reply,

I got an idea , that is by putting two 9 1/2 inch deep hives on top of each other. The one on top will be furnished with frames while the lower one will be empty. I will move the bird house into the lower one and remove its back side so it will be opened from behind. I will make an openeing in the wall of the lower hive that match the 2 inch diameter birdhouse door and make both openeings coincide. The bees will be coming in normally through the 2 inch diameer door but they can move to the other hive through the back side.

\do you think it will work? I appeciate if you could advise

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.