Thread: Jamaica, Mon

Question

My neighbors across the street have shown an interest in beekeeping. They have two very young children who are also very interested in the bees.

They have decided, however, to wait until they are moving to Jamaica to let me know just how interested they are !

The bees will make excellent science projects for their two kids, obviously. They will be home-schooled.

My question is this, of course....... do we have any contacts in Jamaica from the beekeeping aspect ?

I will pass the info on to them that I get from any of you.

I don't kow the exact location where they will be living.

Thanx !!

Nuttin from nobuddy , eh ??

Well,I know a beekeeper from Jamaica,but hes probably in the Dakotas somewhere or in Texas last I heard.He works for big outfits all over.Anyone know Nevel? Sorry -I know its no help(but gets my message count up one).

My Father had bees for many years in Jamaica , He use to spend the winters down there. He sold them to a local beekeeper in Lucy Bay (hanover county) between Montego Bay and Negril . I could probably get you a number.

The Jamaica Tourism Board has a people-to-people program that can introduce people to Jamaicans who share the same interests, occupations, etc. That could be a good place to find a Jamaican beekeeper.

I have also read that the Jamaican government has started a program to teach poor Jamaicans, especially single mothers, who live in rural areas to become beekeepers. Perhaps the Jamaican agriculture ministry would be able to recommend a location where there are beekeepers.
    I (heart) Honeybees

Default Re: Jamaica, Mon

The Ministry of Agriculture through RADA has a registry of bee farmers in every parish. Your friend needs to contact the RADA office in the parish he/she resides in upon arrival and they will provide the referral as well as provide technical assistance. The website url is http://www.rada.gov.jm/ Best wishes. Hopes this helps.

Oasisfarms, welcome to Beesouce!

One thing to keep in mind when browsing the forums and crafting a reply is to check the date on the thread you are replying to. This thread, for instance, is from 2005. Those small children referenced in post #1 are not so small anymore.
    Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 07-08-2012 at 08:20 PM.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    Oaisfarms, welcome to Beesouce!

One thing to keep in mind when browsing the forums and crafting a reply is to check the date on the thread you are replying to. This thread, for instance, is from 2005. Those small children referenced in post #1 are not so small anymore.
    Thanks Rader Sidetrack, duly noted. Did not pay attention to that detail, will do next time.