Anyone out there have problems with warped wax foundation?

I made up about 1500 frames with wire and wax foundation that I used this spring. I bought foundation from 2 different reputable companies and out of 15 or so boxes I'd say 80% of it was warped pretty bad.

Is this just the naure of the beast or did I perhaps do something wrong? Can warped wax be straightened? It did seem to help If I put a heater close to it and warmed it up good before installing it.

Anyway, I still used it but now I have warped comb in those hives. Any suggestions appreciated.

-Rob
    -Rob Bliss
    Bliss Honey and bee supplies

Bring the temp of the room up to about 90 F. and lay wax out, individual sheets, for a few hours. When flat, allow room to cool to 70 F. It will stay flat.

Is this deeps??? Did you wire the foundation?

On some of mine where the comb tended to
    warp in the lower fourth I just cut away
    the warped couple inches and let them draw
    it down.

Great advice guys, thank you.
    Yes, I wired the frames and the wax is also wired so it might be a little hard to cut out the warped part. But you're right, Bruce, the warping is in the lower forth. Yes, they are also deeps.
    -Rob Bliss

You can also cut a couple of pieces of glass to fit inside the frames, apply one to each side and let it stand in the sun for a minute or so(or under a light bulb), GENTLY press the panes together(don't mash the foundation cells flat) and remove from heat source and let cool.
    Banjos and bees... how sweet it is!

i use a hair dryer on low heat for a few seconds..it works real good....( just make sure you have it back before the wife gets out of the shower !! )

>Anyone out there have problems with warped wax foundation?

That's why I never put wax foundation in until I'm ready to put it in the hives. Wax is really a liquid. If you wait long enough it will warp. If it's warmer, it will warp faster. Wire will buy you some time. But it will not stop it.

It's also why I love foundationless frames.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

"That's why I never put wax foundation in until I'm ready to put it in the hives."

This wax comes warped right out of the package.
    -Rob Bliss

I had the same thing happen this year. The worst was the Dadant crimped wire foundation. Some of my frames came out looking like porqupines with the crimped wires poking out all over. I took most of them out, melted them down, and put in starter strips. The bees drew out the starter strips and made comb faster than they did any of the foundation I have used. I no longer plan buy foundation except the unwired kind that I can cut into 1" starter strips.
    doug

ditto re dadant crimp wire foundation. the warping is bad. probably bugs me more than the bees tho.

planning to cut out all the yuk black wax and try out some 4.9 starter strips to see how that goes. also planning to cut some fresh top bars at an angle and see if the girls will just roll their own.

>This wax comes warped right out of the package.

Really? Maybe you should complain. It should be flat.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF