Question

I am making a Miller feeder using the plans from this website. The mat'l list ONE pc 1/8 HDW cloth 5 x 16-1/4. A note on the drawing specifies ONE pc 5 x 14-1/2. Do I need TWO pc of hardware cloth? I don't understand the insturctions in the note. Help Please!

Hello Dave,

You actually need 3 pieces of hardware cloth. Two pieces of 5 x 14 1/2 folded in half - are used as ladders for the bees so they don't drown. The other piece,which is 16 1/2 inches long,is used to cover the three holes in the middle, which allows you to fill the feeder without you bothering the bees or vice versa. I have built the same feeder and it works great! Just remember to seal with parrafin and check for leaks with water before you put it on the hive. Good luck!

Pancho

After building 8 miller feeders from the plans on this site and lining the access with screen wire.... I saw a better one yesterday. It eliminates the Center board closest to the syrup. This spot is reserved for the hardware cloth which is formed to replace the board. It is stapled to the bottom. The bees thus use THIS to climb up on. No trouble with dead bees. BTW the channel runs the long dimension. I'm going to try it.