Thread: what queen?

Big Grin

HI all I just made a split ( 3weeks ago) I got the queen from a beekeeper friend and they are pretty mean bees but make so much honey the beekeper thought they were All American (but did not know) from r weaver have any other peopel had this behavior in All Americans? if not what oher bee would this be. they are darker than an Italian but lighter than a carnolian they are manageabel with smoke. thanks SW_TR

I got some queen's last april (Buckfast)from R.Weaver.& gave them away, The beekeeper I gave them to called last night & told me that they was the meanest bees he's ever seen in his life not just 1 hive ,but all of them.& they are darker than Italian's.I think the all- americans was breed from the buckfast.but don't know for sure.the only thing I do know is I don't want any(ha-ha)>>>>MARK

I believe All Americans are just B Weaver's version of Italians. All the ones I've had were gentle good producers. I've been getting Buckfasts from B Weaver for decades and they have always been gentle good producers until this last year. This last year they turned vicious.

I was under the impression that the All American was just an Italian as Michael Bush mentioned .In the brochure from B Weaver last year they mentioned they had been selecting breeding queens based on mite resistance as the number one priority .they said they intended to resume selecting for gentleness this year .
    Joens

Queens from Weavers can be any color. We used to get dark All Americans(Italians) and yellow Buckfasts. What's in a name? Generally, they were good producers but the temper of the bees varied quite a bit.

i've always liked the buckfast from b weaver,someone should have one of those mean buckfast's tested,i do wonder if i should start buying all my queens from northern climates.

Question

Hoosierhive have you got some of those mean buck fast from b weaver? are all there bees mean or just a coupel? were could you get a buckfast or russian up north?

Had american buckfast bees from Weavers for probably 20 years....mixed with carniolans and italians it has been a big basis of my stock. Through all those years they always were known for the tendency to become mean on later generations and to not always mix well with other strains.....in other words, their daughters can be **** vicious.

Cant say that I recall any particular problems with them on 1st generation but it is always possible to get a few mean bees here and there....it is usually offset by some that will be very gentle.

I have switched to a completely different Buckfast stock recently and havent actually purchased any from Weavers in 4 or 5 years so maybe they have gotten meaner.