Hybrid View

Question

I am down here in south Texas where the AHB has been for a while. I made a split in early Sept. adding an Allamerican queen from the Weavers. Well, she didn't take and they reised their own. At this point the raised queen appears good, even though they are alittle runny. Although, I know the raised queen is pure Allamerican, I cannot be as sure what type of drone she mated with. My question is, do the AHB problems show up at the beginning or do they arise later?

------------------
    Bee Good!

Garry wrote:

My question is, do the AHB problems show up at the beginning or do they arise later?

Reply:

Well, supposedly having AHB in Arizona (whole state has been declared Africanized by the Arizona Dept of Agric), and depending upon your POV as to what Africanization actually is, as some believe and some don't. You will probably have to wait and see how your bees react. Chances are you have a perfectly lovely queen and all she needs is a chance to show you that.

In the USA a colony can be called africanized if only one mating of the queen (queen mates 10-17 times) in theory is AHB while the rest of the matings are European.

Many things can cause bees to sting by the way:

1. Bad frame manipulation practices that crush bees when beekeepers inspect colonies or take honey.

2. Various treatment chemicals make bees sting and can be read about in many pesticide manuals and beekeeping books on chemical/drug usage.

3. Working bees at certain times of the day or at certain temperatures.

4. Working bees on overcast days or rainy days.

5. Working bees for long periods when honey flows are over (getting robbing going, etc).

6. sudden vibrations and sounds can also make bees sting.

Regards,

Dee