Big Grin

Does anyone have caucasian bees? I am considering a package of these this spring and wanted to talk to someone with experience with this race....

also, all american strain and midnite strain?

thanks and look forward to your responses

george

Question

george, I read these posts pretty regular,and activity can be slow at times.I tried two russian queens this past spring(2001)from calvert apiaries in alabama.These are probably considered caucasians,but I'm not sure,I didn't ask.I will ask about lineage next year.So far I have mixed feelings about them,they didn"t make much honey this summer and their overwinter population are low compared to my Italian hives.I decided to try them for disease resistance(varroa)and so far so good on that. I will see how they come out of the winter,before making my final conclusions.I"m in central Alabama.Good luck,JOHN

George wrote:

Does anyone have caucasian bees? I am considering a package of these this spring and wanted to talk to someone with experience with this race....

Reply:
    Call and talk with Eddie McKenzie in Sale Creek, Tenn at 423-332-5725. He has Caucasian bees on 4.9mm foundation he got from Bolling Bee (Bill Gafford) in Greenville Ala for two years now and doing well and expanding numbers as they are handling the mites and secondary diseases fine.

He also makes his own foundation.

Regards,

Dee

My experiance with the Allamerican has been nothing but good. They are very calm, are not runny, build up very quickly in the spring, and bring in that honey. I also have Buckfest and in my oppinion Allamerican is better.

Talking to the state inspector about the Buckfest and the Allamerican, he said that the Weavers have been breeding the Allamerican to do well in the south for two generations. And that you cannot find a better bee for here in the south.

I got about 70lbs of honey off in July.
    I have had very few stings. And when working them, usually only one bee if any are buzzing you. Even mowing around them does not seem to bother them.
    Last spring, I made three splits from one hive, and still the mother hive along with one of the splits had a good amount of honey in July.

------------------
    Bee Good!