Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What to plant-

db I am surprised you only got about 30% from disking in. Did you wait until the plants had totally dried? My main concern will be getting rid of the dam thistles first.
    david

I think the plants were dry enough. At the time I thought maybe we had disced a little too deep or maybe we should have mowed first to scatter the seeds better.

Last fall we planted crimson clover as a ground cover. We've done this before so I know the bees love it, but it blooms when there's lots of other forage blooming and thus is not a good nectar dearth filler crop.

I've read that some thistles (like "blue globe") make good bee forage.

Triangle Bees

>Bill: do the deer, etc leave Huban alone?

I never saw any deer damage in my clover. They really tore up the turnips!
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

I've sure seen the bees work the turnips.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

db
    since i don't own a drill, i planted my buckwheat by first discing ground real good, then broadcasting, then ran a cultipacker over it. This helps get the seed packed down. Just wondering if you packed it after discing in the dried up buckwheat. I like your idea about running over it with the bushhog too.

I keep looking for bees on the dam canada thistles but never see them. They do like the big bull thistles though, but those aren't a problem, mostly grow along the ditches.

Is crimson clover the same as alsike?
    david

Hey, BerkeyDavid, when I looked at drilling alfalfa on my farm and didn't have a drill, my local So. States told me they had one I could rent. I guess they sell more seed by having one available to local farmers. Just a thought...hope it helps! -Dan

Our local soil conservation service has a no till drill that they rent by the day. You might want to check around in your area to see if there is one in your area.

thanks guys i will call and ask about use of a drill. You're right it would be a good way to sell more seed too

Here's a good picture of crimson clover:

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/w...d/24/24.8.html

Alsike is more like red clover.

For the buckwheat planting we disc and at the same time drag a very heavy pallet (made of thick oak boards) behind the harrow to break up clods. Then we broadcast the seed. We don't use a cultipacker or drill.
    Triangle Bees

db - nice pic, never saw that crimson clover before, it is not in my books.
    If I don't run a cultipacker over seed around here I get very poor germination. The seed just dries out and sits there.