Hybrid View

Exclamation

I read that for comb honey producing it is a good idea to put your brood box above your super with the stores in it. Is this true? If so when is a good time to switch them? Also,if the bees eat your foundation in your comb supers what is causing this and how do I prevent it? Thanks in advance for any help.

>I read that for comb honey producing it is a good idea to put your brood box above your super with the stores in it. Is this true?

I wouldn't. I'd do a cut down or steal the stores just before the main flow or just leave them alone.

>Also,if the bees eat your foundation in your comb supers what is causing this

Boredom.

>and how do I prevent it?

Don't put the supers on until there's a flow.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I read that for comb honey producing it is a good idea to put your brood box above your super with the stores in it.

reply:

I am assuming you mean reversing here. The second story box should be rather depleted. I like to reverse colonies at dandelion time (roughly). Sometimes one doesn't need to reverse because the colony naturally expands down. Use judgement here. One can also open up honey bound food chamber boxes (2nd story or 3rd story boxes buy adding empty combs from below)to make expansion room for bees to move upwards.

I allow my bees to build up as strong as possible usually 2 or 3 deep boxes. At the time of the major flow i do as micheal says and do a cut down setting the other to boxes up behind the parent colony. I re-unite the two in the fall.

Clay
    Clayton Huestis