Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Kids and bees

4K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Jon McFadden 
#1 ·
#4 ·
My kids love messing around near them...of course I am always nearby to make sure things stay safe. Anyhow, my little 2 year old daughter likes the smell of the hives so she walks down and crouches in front of the entrance and draws in breaths of the scent. She loves it. My 5 year old boy likes to race me down to the hive to check on things but he doesn't like to get closer than about 5-10 feet. Swarm play is interesting...hadn't thought about it too much!

#9 ·
Wonderful pictures. My daughter, age 12, is my official "assistant bk" talks a great game but is hard to get into action. She has her own hive (painted purple) but I've given up on the idea of her showing real initiative. My 14 year old son on the other hand is almost always ready to help *if asked* and prefers to throw on a bug baffler and have at it.

#11 ·
Im too young for kids but man that would be cool if my sisters were that calm in a cloud of bee's.

Tim, I would LOVE to be in your shoes since your so close to pismo beach.

#16 ·
Cool pictures!!! Awesome quality -- hope you don't mind but I looked at some of your other pics too, amazing pics of the girls up close :D

I'm 19...been helping my dad for a couple years now. He started getting back into bees -- had them as a teenager then life moved on...and I was the only one home when the package arrived at Mann Lake. :eek: I'd never worked with bees at all...first I had to drive the 2 1/2 hours to Mann Lake, then drove home hunched over the wheel trying not to look in the rearview mirror and see the stragglers outside the box. My dad knew they'd come some time soon, and before he went out of town he left instructions on what to do to put them in the hive and to get the queen in there properly too. I don't remember ever being that nervous or shaky before...wasn't sure what these crazy things would do when I opened the box to let 'em out! I smoked 'em and had the hive all set up...and dumped 'em right in. :D It was a very weird thing to see the bees all as a body falling into the box. But, it all turned out okay, they were pretty docile and I never got stung at all. I've liked working with them since :D It's funny how I used to be scared to death whenever a bee would come around me...I'd dance in place until it left
but now it's neat to see what the girl that's buzzing my head is going to do :D

#19 ·
That was too cool! I'm going to show that to my munchkins! The girls will probably freak. But my younger son will say "No fair!" He is always in them with me and the girls, though leary (-1sp) want their own hives and get a kick out of the queen and brood and why we do what we do. Thank you sir! David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.