Thread: mouse damage

Hi I had about a dozen medium supers of empty combs that the field mice spent the winter camping in, What they didn't chew up they craped on. What can i use to clean the equipment . How do I provevt
    that from happening again
    Thanks Dan

Lightbulb

Para-Moth Wax Moth Control,
    Para-Moth is used to control wax moths in stored supers. Place 3 oz. (6 tablespoons) on a paper plate and place on top bars of uppermost super. Stack 5 deep supers or 9 shallow supers and cover with a tarp.

I just stack and cover with a top cover and replace when almost depleated. Not for use in hives and it needs to be aired out before putting back in use.

No moths OR MICE or anything else can live in the supers when the Para-Moth is in it.

Bill

You can keep mice out by sealing it up well enough. Sometimes they will try to chew through the wood. If you have a problem with the mice trying to do that, you can buy "no chew" at the animal supplie stores that makes the wood taste nasty.

kayakdg,
    I just stack the dry supers on a very flat piece of wood or cement floor, inside an unheated building, once frost starts in the Fall (until then they were on top of the inner covers, on top of the hives, after extracting in Aug.). I cover with another piece or wood, so that no mice can go in (I used extra telescopic covers). I'm told that as long as there is freezing weather, the moths will not be a problem either. And before that I will be adding them to the hives. This way I avoid using chemicals I dislike.
    Take care,
    Alex

Freezing will kill the moths. Unfortunately I have no outdoor place to store supers and stacked supers seem to be an ideal place for the moths when the weather is not freezing. It may work better to stack them alternating the length and width so there is more ventilation and the moths have a less hopitable environment.

Moths! I hate them.

On this topic: How small of a hole can a mouse squeeze through? I called an exterminator's office, and the office girl said she thought a hole the diameter of a nickel. Well, that is 7/8 of an inch, but I'm wondering if maybe that is a bit large. Does anyone have any substantive information?

Maybe I have too much time on my hands, but I also try to set out a decoy super with mouse traps and sticky board to thin a few mice in the fall. A half wild farm cat will also do wonders.

Big Grin

We have Shrews that are like mice and they can get thru a 1/2 inch hole and do the same damage as a mouse.
    Clint

------------------
    Clinton Bemrose
    just South of Lansing Michigan