Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Allen County Beek Association (KY) Field Day

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Pappybee 
#1 ·
ACBA of Kentucky hosted a fabulous field day at the home of two of their members. I'm writing to rave about it...

The event began with a sign-up (now I wonder where they got the list of names for the door-prizes...) and the handing out of the day's agenda. Once all were present, the host gave us the option to follow the adjenda singly as a group or to divide up and add a few more advanced subjects to the list, which is what we did. By their having ample beeks present qualified and eager to teach, we were able to split into 2-3 large groups covering an array of subjects.

One of the highlights was "12 Months with a First-year Beekeeper." Sadly I missed the name of the presenter, but he is a natural when it comes to speaking. He simply made a great presentation full of those bits of wisdom which we tend to take for granted. And his wit! Now I'm a strick no-nonsense type of guy, myself. But he even caused me to feel a bit cheerful more than once.

There were people of all ages and experience ranges, including one boy who you've all seen yourself. He's the new kid who's head-deep into the hive without a veil or gloves while all the adults are appropriately suited up. He raises chickens, he told me. He thinks he might use his chicken money to buy bees, now. He received two of the door-prizes (a smoker and a hive tool) from 2 of our senior beekeepers who really revealed their character, character which wasn't in short supply. I think this is what makes such hobbies and events so great.

It ended as it began, a great field day with beekeepers doing what beekeepers do, sharing in the exchange of knowledge and the sincere hand-shake. I met a few people who I suspect hover around here at times.

But then it didn't end. The host was so sincere in that he was there until sundown anyway that a few of us stuck around. In doing this, we got to go with him to collect a couple of swarms. Very much fun so do as a team and to see how others do things.

Hats off to Allen County Beekeepers Association and the Vernon family for a wonderful day.

I'll be emailing out photos with those who attended. If I didn't get your name, shoot me a private message or get with the association.

Waya Coyote
The long-haired guy in the funny-looking (yet quite nonsensical) bandana
Mammoth Cave Beek Association

[ May 14, 2006, 03:26 AM: Message edited by: wayacoyote ]

See less See more
#2 ·
To me, sharing the knowledge and experiences of beekeeping are what it's all about. Here at work everyone calls me either "Mr Bee" or "Beeman". Everyone that I work with knows that I'm a beekeeper because I'm always talking about my experiences and how much fun I have working with the bees. Even though ereryone thinks I'm totally nuts for playing with bees they all come to me when they have any questions about bees, wasps, hornets or whatever.

I've converted one fellow already to bee a beekeeper and I've got another young fellow on the verge of getting a couple of hives for himself. If we had a beekeepers association like the Allen County Beekeepers in my area I believe that I could probably introduce more people into the hobby. As it is, I will proceed with my own attempts to get as many people interested in the hobby as I personally can so that I can spread the fun around.

#3 ·
Waya,
I was there also and agree wholeheartedly with your assessment. I just regret that my wife and I missed the swarm captures, but we had to dash off and get a Mother's Day gift. (nothing like waiting to the last minute to shorten the shopping:)

I'm looking forward to seeing the pics, will try to get some of my TBH as soon as the weather permits.

Gene Griffin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.