Thread: Starline Queens

Anyone have recent data on Starline queens. Like whos raising them, their traits and has anyone had recent experience with this strain of honeybee?

We have one, my dad used to have Starlines when he was a kid so that's what he went to when he wanted to get back into bees. The first Starline queen we had made an extremely hot hive. They'd sting you for looking at them cross-eyed...we let them supercede her and wound up with the best little girl imaginable. Dunno how that worked, but the hive is now first one up, very docile, and have really gotten a fast start over our Buckfast hive this spring.
    Two roads diverged in a wood and I - I took the one less traveled by...

I had some Starlines back in the 70's. I don't believe anyone is raising them now. Dadant used to sell them. I think York used to sell them. I think York sold out to someone.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

It was York that raised Starline. I started out with Starlines when I first started beekeeping. We went to Jessup,GA to get the packages. They were very gentle and did build up quickly.I made all the usual new beek mistakes and had some swarms.But I did like them. I dont think anyone sells them now...Rick Alexander
    Turn stumbling blocks into stepping stones

I don't think anyone is maintaining the original lines anymore. That was the main problem with Starlines.

I had some that I got from York about five years ago. Generally very productive, but not mite resistant and they got VERY hot once they superceded the original queen - I mean nasty. You'll probably not have an option, but even if a York-like Starline were available, I'd definitely look into a different bee. Give the NWC a try.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/