Thread: bears

how many volt does a electic fence charger need to any ideas of how to keep bears out

I had a bear encounter recently. Installed a barbed wire fence with 5 strands of wire spaced at 10". Used a 12 volt fence charger with a 10,000 volt output and a marine/rv deep cycle battery. I beleive the experts say a minimum of 5,000 volts. Hope that helps.

There are solar powered fencers out there that work well.
    Put a little bacon grease on the center strand of the fence so the bear will touch it with his nose or tongue first. This will teach him thet the fence is hot and prevent him from just walking through it the first time he encounters it.
    I think that five strands of barbed wire on good solid posts is a pretty good deterent.
    It is what it is.

As Dwight indicated it's about the nose! Getting a bears' nose on 5,000 volts with bacon has more effect than any other part of the anatomy on 10,00 volts. Our battery fencers put out around 8500 volts. It hits pretty hard. Our one Solar puts charges between 4500 and 7500 depending on the time of year and weed contact.

We run 2 strands of hot wire, 9" & 18" off the ground on the short fiberglass posts in our out yards and 1 stand with critter gitters on our equipment yard.. We are right in the heart of bear terriroty in the Finger Lakes region and have good suceess.

[size="1"][ May 23, 2006, 09:39 AM: Message edited by: Joel ][/size]