Up until just now, I have had 30 year old surplus foundation so I wasn't worried about this, but I've recently run out and bought some new surplus foundation.

Does anyone know what the contamination level is in surplus foundation? I don't think the beeswax/foundation industry keeps wax seperate for use in comb honey do they?

I am not going to use it as foundation, but just as starter strips and then I'll try to leave that much at the top when I cut the comb so I won't need another starter strip and none of it will be in my honey. But I am wondering how we, as beekeepers, are expected to keep our product pure under the circumstances.

Any thoughts by anyone on this? Any other applicable information? Any other plans on how to do this?

This is my first reply for a topic, but I have been a beekeeper for 5 years. I have read many books and articles and have never really thought of contaminated wax for use in comb honey. I have always thought more about what chemicals my neighbors down the road are using and making back to my hives. I am eager to hear if this is a concern large enough to make the extra effort. Thank-you.

Hi Micheal,

Not sure of the answer. I have self contained my wax so as to keep it clean or at best dilute chemical residues as much as possible. You should e-mail Lloyd Spear owner of Ross rounds to answer your questions. His address is Lloyd@rossrounds.com He should be able to answer your questions about how clean the foundation is. I suspect that although its white it isn't exactly that residue free.

Clay

Michael,
    In a recent talk, the head of research at Beltsville (Bee research lab)mentioned a study on how wax contamination affects queen survival and growth. They wanted pure wax(with NO residue;pesticide or antibiotic) and they couldn't find it anywhere!! They even tried something called "cosmetic" wax as, I suppose, if people put it on their face ...it must be pure. Not so. While it was measured in parts per billion the residue was still there. And it DID affect queen rearing considerably. To be honest, I don't really remember what residue he was referring to. (Pesticide or tmyacin). The moral is ... use your own clean wax for queens and anything you are going to eat.

Dickm

I'd be curious to hear the research on that. It sounds consistent with what Dee Lusby is saying.

I think I'm going to have to try to use only my own wax for everything in the long run. In the meantime, I really need to find some clean wax.