Thread: angry hive

Question

I have seven hives and have been beekeeping for years. Four of my hives are russian from kelley. It is one of these hives that is my problem. I went to watch my bees as i normally do and was instantly butted by a bee so i left the hives. well the bee followed and popped me on the nose. i am in eastern Tn so african bees should not be a possiblilty right? Also when i work this hive the bees are very hostile. Has anyone else had this problem with russian. The queen is new (last August) and i plan on killing her and requeening after honey flow. P.S. i am tearting with the mineral oil and my hives have never been productive or healthy

------------------

tearting = treating
    typo

Good morning CK, The new queen should take care of your problem. Are you saying that your hives are unhealthy because of FGMO? I have been using it and mine seem to be doing fine. We lost most of our spring flow because of the freeze in late May, so mine are nnnot productive now. Jim

------------------
    Jim

no i was saying mine are doing great. sorry for poor wording. Does anyone know if fgmo is also effective against small hive beetle?

BILLY BOB Guest

I don't thinkk so. So far all I've done for SHB, is stop trying to keep the fire ants away. I'm more than happy to give some honey to the ants if they help keep the SHB under control.

Billy Bob