Thread: Salt

I was taking to a older gentleman the other day, he told me something that I never heard before, here goes.

He said he use to keep about 20 hives about 30 years ago and he put a small pill of salt on the landing boards and the bee's would use it, he said that the bee's would put the salt on pested like moth larve and other pest, I started laughing and he said "What the hell you laughing about,I'm serious". anybody ever heard of this? man I almost got my ears blistered by a old fart! he a good fellow and a dear friend , just thought i would check it out.
    Ted

'Salting a colony' was a common practice with the old timers. They believed that the bees needed the minerals for good health, some beekeepers today still salt their colonies or use mineral salt at the ends of the top bar. I understand that a few don’t even know why they do it, except to say “Grand pap always did it“. There was a passing mention of this practice of salting colonies at the PA seminar a few weeks ago. I believe it was Flottum that brought up the subject and mentioned nutritional supplements for bees may become more popular in the future. ‘Honey B Healthy’ is a product that contains salt and minerals said to improve the health of a colony.

Here’s something from an Old-timer I have never heard before:

An old timer once mentioned to me that a hand full of table salt thrown into the entrance of a hot colony will make the bees workable within about one week. I have never tried this, nor have I ever heard any other beekeeper knowing about this.

I've heard of it but never done it. I haven't heard the concept of them saling the wax moth larvae, but that does seem like an idea to kill wax moth larvae. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

GreenMountainRose