Thread: Wax Job

I've got a hive that the bees have coated the whole front with wax on the outside of the hive.It is thin almost like it was sprayed on,Also one small comb about 3'' long & 1" wide.This is a double brood box.I havn't been over to this hive in about a month or so,But it seem's like they have plenty of room.Was wondering if any of you have seen this before.Mark

guess not!

I responded to this once. I don't know where it went.

Anywhere there is a lot of traffic it picks up a yellowish waxy coating. I'm not sure what all it consists of but I always figured some of it is wax and some is pollen from walking on combs and from being in flowers. If there are a lot of bees on the front of the hive, the front will get a coating. If a lot are on the landing board the landing board will get a coating. This is the same coating that turns white comb yellow and yellow comb brown.

Thanks Michael for the respond,But this wax is like they are coating it not just walking on it also a small comb is build on it.>>>>Mark

A small comb built on the outside? Do they hang on the front a lot? I've never seen a comb on the outside.

The comb is nice & white,that is a 1st for me also Michael,there is not alot of bees on the outside but what is are working on the wax,as I said it is not that crowded on the inside.I started to clean it off but decided to leave it & see what they do.>>>>Mark

Mark,

I am in Mobile - I had a hive similar to the one you are talking about. They were in a single deep, and when I checked them about 2 weeks ago the front was covered with white wax deposits similar to the way a branch looks when a swarm hangs from it for too long. A couple of spots looked as though they were going to start a comb.

Unfortunately, this was the result of SHB. The SHB larvae had the upper hand inside the box and what bees were left were living on the outside of the box. The inside was a slimy, nasty mess. Not sure why the SHB took over, but I would guess that the colony was already weak and just couldn't resist the onslaught. I don't check this particular yard as often as I would like, so that's all I know.

I hope this isn't what is happening to your colony.

------------------
    Rob Koss

When I was in Washington DC in the Smithsonian they had an observation hive. There was a plastic tube that went from in the hive to a spot where it went out the window, the tube was about three feet long, and clear. The hive looked yucky to me, dark, dirty maybe, I don't know. But those bees were building on the outside of the window by where the tube went into the window. They had a decient size clump of what looked like brood comb to me. It was totally exposed to the elements, wind, rain, and sun. I wondered why it was there, seemed odd.

Thanks fellows for the reply's,Well I went back & looked at them again today,they are building wax for sure & I made a mistake when I said they wasn't crowded,it was raining a little today when I checked them & the hive is busting with bee's.
    Rob:Thanks for the tip on the SHB,I checked & didn't find any.
    Rooster:That is what they are building on my hive.it is a nice white comb,seen bee's crowded before but never seen them do this,as you said seems odd.>>>>Mark

rwjedi Guest

You got to love it, a race of bees that instead of swarming when they get crowded. Doesn't wait for the beekeeper to expand things. They go ahead and build an addition all by themselves. LOL

When I get my web site up and running I will have a picture of an owl house that had four sheets of comb built on the outside in front of the entrance about twelve by eighteen inches. The owner said that during the winter the comb was covered with bees. Very strange for our climate. The house and bees weighed over seventy lbs. after swarming twice. I removed two swarms and the house over a two day period last April.