Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

WEll i just called YORK BEE CO in Ga. I was calling them to ask about queens they may have. When the lady answered the phone i asked her about the types of queens she has. She gave a big sigh and mummbled off some names. After i got the half *** list from her, i was wondering about her starline queens. WEll when i asked her to explain to me about the them she told me that " the bees are yellow and they make honey". She was very rude and sarcastic during the conversation. I would not buy any queens or bees from this company, they do not know what good customer realtions are.
    If any others have had problems please post and maybe we can get the better business bureau against them
    chris

p.s. This companies add is in the supplier of queens and package bees in the us on this message board.

[This message has been edited by Chris L (edited July 25, 2003).]

I have to admit I've never bought queens from them, but they've been selling them since way before I was born. I've never seen an American Bee Journal without their ad in it. They were the only supplier for Starlines (hybrid Italians that were developed by Dadant) and Midnites (hybrid caucasians that were developed by Dadant) for many years. Maybe the receptionist was having a bad day.

I don't have any expierence with them directly, Harvey York (the founder) died several months ago. I would imagine that everything there is in turmoil. When he was alive, Harvey was well respected. I don't know if there was a "right hand man" to take over.

I guess the same can be said about R Weaver in Texas. Roy died last year. Now they are selling some of the meanest bees I've ever encountered.

Round Top, New York - Northern Catskill Mtns.

I would suggest that if you had a problem with someone at York, talk to the boss or the office manager.
    Let them know about your call to buy some of their products and the treatment provided.
    See if they handle the problem person.

There's no law against ignorance or rudeness or craziness or plain stupidity. The Better Business Bureau wouldn't be concerned unless they ripped you off, and then it's pretty much irrelevant, since they have no police powers. Maybe she was just blase because she has gotten 40-kazillion phone calls from "shoppers," not buyers, and basically she told the truth as she saw it. Not good customer relations, but since Pop died, maybe her heart's just not in it....

I am surprised! I'm from Jesup (home town of York)and I know Pat ( Harvey's daughter) who runs the place. She is very customer oriented and helpful, years and years of working with Mr. York. I have purchased queens there also and am quite pleased. I think any one of the employees answer the phone and could have a bad day, that is not to say they should treat their customers poorly. I must admit I would put up with their rudeness after having tried their queens. Great layers of excellent workers. Although it sounds like it I am in no way affiliated with their company.

Mark

OK everyone this post was to let you know what happend to me and i want you all to be aware of the unprofessionalism this company showed me. I will never buy from them, nor will i ever send any business their way. If you feel you like their product and want to put up with rudeness to recieve a product then by almeans do so.
    I do not care if you have had a "bad Day". I have bad days all the time but that is a poor excuse and it is just that, an excuse.

I am new to bee keeping and do this for fun and real intrest in bees and when someone who sounds burned out answers a lagitimate question the way she did then they have taken the excitment out and i do not want to associate with that type of business.
    Thus, that is why i posted this message. I know this board has many hobbiest on it and i want them to have a heads up befor they think about calling them when they could be treated better with someone else.
    In this day and age of communication, one person being able to contact many( take this board for example) , a company should think about the way they treat one person because it can have a huge back lash.
    chris

jimbee: Your right about R.weaver.
    I called them back in the spring to ask a question about some queen's that I got from them.
    He talked to me like I was a dog.
    Made me so mad I gave the queen's away(boy that hurt him.ha-ha).
    Any way I'll never buy anything from them again.also texas is not so far for me to go & kick his smart #^%.

Chris

I think you should give them a second chance. I called into a company one day to discover that the person on the other end of the phone was very short with me. I kept my cool and eventualy got my order placed. I felt the same way you did. Two weeks later I read an artical in the local paper about how earlier in the week her child had been on the way to school and been struck by a car and was sent to the hospital. She obviously was having a very hard week but she kept going to work because they could not afford to be off of work. You never know the other side of the story and you need to open your mind a little.

Chris, sorry you had a bad experience, but I do agree with rainesridge. I think if your interested in Starlines you might want to reconsider calling them again to test their reaction. My grandfather has ordered Starlines from York for many years, and has been very happy with them. My own experiences with them have been great as well. Extremely docile, great for beginers like us!

Brandon,
    I wanted to know about Starlines. that is why i called then because they sell them. But she did give me some valuable info "they are yellow and make honey" .... Thank god they do that.....Can you tell me a little about the bee. I have carnolians and italians. I am pleased with the carnies....

thanks
    chris

I've had Starlines. They were very gentle and very productive. The Buckfasts that I used to get had those same traits. (but not recently) The Starlines were a hybrid, so the next generation wasn't as good as the first, but they weren't bad either. If you found that your queen had been superceded you could get another queen. I think consistency is the bigger trait. I've had Italians that were as gentle and as productive, but the Starlines consistently had the traits of the gentlest and most productive Italians with every queen instead of with half of them.

When I encounter a rude salesperson-receptionist-etc, first I ask for their name and position. Then I ask to speak to a supervisor or manager, and relay my comments to them. (Sometimes I have to call back later) I try really hard to be polite, but I don't always succeed. It is very hard for a boss or a manager to know what their employees are doing all the time, but usually they appreciate the feedback, and if they don't then I know to take my business elsewhere. And there are enough unemployed people out there, that replacements aren't hard to find. This also gives the boss a chance to apologize for an employee who had a bad day, but at least then the people in charge know what is going on.

Wink

maybe they should check for foulbrood.

I dont know about York but I had exactly the opposite experience with R.Weaver. I had several e mail and phone communications with them and went there in person to pick up my two packages. I was green as grass at beekeeping and everyone of them was friendly and helpful.

Big Grin

I thought r weaver was one of the nicest places to order from too. B weaver and Rossman are also very nice places to order from. SWARM

It may have been like ChellesBees said .
    I may have been talking to an employee at R.Weavers ,I did'nt ask there name,But who ever it was caused them to lose myBusiness.It may not be much,But I was taught to watch your pennies & your dollars will take care of it's self.>>>>Mark

Sometimes it pays to complain. I needed a new dehumidifier today, so I went to our three local stores. Found the one I liked at Home Depot, so went back to purchase it, only to have a sales person tell me the demo was the only one left, and he couldn't sell it to me. Was going to just leave, and get my second choice at Menards, then went back and requested to speak to a manager. Told him just how frustrated I was, and thought he should know. He went back, boxed the demo for me, gave me 10% off, and even carried it out to the van for me. They saved a sale, I got what I wanted, and I will spend more there as a result. Sometimes, they really do want to try.

Hoosier Hiver,
    You crack me up. Thanks for the laugh!
    D.

In any communication there can be misunderstandings, poor timing. Maybe she needed to use the rest room and you wanted to visit about starline this and starline that.

I purchased 100 queens from York last year and was treated respectfully, received live queens 1 day after ship date, and am very happy at the cost (I think it was $5.50 each).

If I was working in an office and expected 20-30 calls from potential customers all potentially puchasing between 10-500 queens each, and then I get a call from someone that wants to discuss "starline" characteristics for 30 minutes while trying to decide whether or not to buy one or three, I might get alittle short myself.

The poor gal is probably not a beekeeper, just a poorly paid, overworked office girl that noticed the queens seemed yellow and since they are "honeybees", they make honey.

York bee does sell cheaper than anyone else out there, so don't expect an apicultural doctor of starline to indulge your curious insatiable mind on the particularities of hybrid 1, 2, or 3.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast