Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Another question on moving bees short distance

3K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  beecron 
#1 ·
I have asked this before, I just wanted to clarify or maybe get some hints. I am moving 1.5-2 km from my place in a very treed/residential area to a big field.
I know it's best to move bees further then bring them back but that may not be an option with all the bears around (fencing and finding someone willing)
If I move them at night, add some attractant to the hives (lemon balm oil?) keep them locked in for 72 hours then release, will enough bees stay to keep the hives going? If so- is there something extra I should feed them while locked in?
I have one extra brood box that I can leave to capture bees that go back to the wrong place- if capturing will actually help them learn. One of the three hives could use some more bees (recent swarm not growing fast).

I am going to put up a sign to try to find someone who may accept the bees at their place for a week, but nothing is guaranteed.
Thanks again.

#2 ·
I would go ahead and move the 2 strong hives one late evening after the field force has returned, letting the stragglers combine with the weak hive the next day. Then after a week or so, move the weak one on a cool night, thereby only losing the Stragglers and returnees from one hive, rather than three. Most will notice the new surroundings the morning after moving and make their location flights then. Only a few will return to the original site. Most found at the original site are ones who did not come home the night you moved them.

#4 ·
Hi Dennis
I have seem on another post that when you move a hive such as you are trying to do you move them to the new location place some branches against the front of the hive (sorta heavy on the brnches) and that will force the bees to do a reorentation flight the establishing the new lication as home.
I have tried this and it worked for me and I only move them about 100 ft.
Hope this helps
gerald

#5 ·
I move them 100 yards or so all the time with just the tree branch method mentioned above (and mentioned in all the ABC XYZ of beeculture editions I own). The distance you have in mind is probably the worst distance to move them because it's far enough that they will never find the new hive by circling from the old, but they will find their way back to the old hive.

I'd probably do the branch thing and then check back at the old location that night and put an empty box there if there are bees and after dark move them next to the new hive's location and put a branch in front of that box too. After a day I bet you won't find any going back to the old location.

#6 ·
If there is a flow on, you have even less worries.
Move at night, nevermind the lemon balm and the 72 hours. As Barney and Mr. Bush mentioned, use branches or pinwheels as location markers. I would leave my weakest hive at the old location for an extra day to pick up straglers, but if only 1 or 2 k away, the ladies will figure it out.
J

#7 ·
Thanks! I like the idea of leaving the weakest as it could use more bees.
Can someone explain the branches part? Should the branches obstruct the openings, or are they placed so that the bees will take notice of a change on the way out- then reorientate altogether when leaving the hive? Anything on the branches will be a big help. Thanks.

#9 ·
The point is to partially obstruct the opening which forces the field bees leaving to assess the situation and reorient becuase they see a change in the landmarks. They may ignore them if there isn't something obvious. Otherwise they just go into autopilot and fly out to the field they know of by landmarks they recognize and then navigate back to the old location by familar landmarks. You need to trigger reorientation.

#11 ·
I just moved my bees about forty yard a few weeks ago and was not aware of what could happen. All my field bees came back to the old location. After recieveing much need advice from forum I used the branh method and it worked for me. (however my first mistake got all my hive out of ther original balance.) So if you have a weak hive indeed leave it at the old site to pick up stragglers.

Thanks again everyone!!!

#13 ·
Is it best to move hives in the evening? I have a few to move and it makes sense to do it later since that's the best time to hive swarms???

Also...since I'm a real lightweight I can't strap hives together to move, but must move a box at a time. What should I expect to happen? Do I need smoke? Should I seal entrances with screen???? I will probably even have to transfer frames to empty boxes on my tractor if they are really heavy. Normally hubby does this, but is gone this week.

#14 ·
>Is it best to move hives in the evening?

If you can move in one piece, yes.

>Also...since I'm a real lightweight I can't strap hives together to move, but must move a box at a time. What should I expect to happen?

If you do it after dark expect to be in the hospital from excessive stings.

If you do it during the day, it's no problem, but you will have some field bees to catch in an empty box and take over after dark.

I usually have no help and do it a box at a time.

> Do I need smoke?

Of course.

> Should I seal entrances with screen????

If you're moving it a box at a time, a short distance, just keep a lid on it while you're moving it.

#15 ·
"If you do it after dark expect to be in the hospital from excessive stings."

Amen,Michael!!!!
Been there done that (but it is confusing when they teach that in beginner classes, moving at night.) Do'nt belive I'll go that route again. Although not applicable in all climates, here in the south we have something called a rattlesnake that my mentor says loves the heat coming off the bottom of a hive in the low country. How do you spell CARDIAC ARREST!!!

#17 ·
Iddee wrote:
"I would go ahead and move the 2 strong hives one late evening after the field force has returned, letting the stragglers combine with the weak hive the next day...."

Excellent advice Iddee!
Another tip, when moving hives and leaving some hives behind. The hives can be sealed and moved during mid morning to early evening depending on how much you wish to strengthen the weak colony.

I suspect that a weak colony in Canada during mid July might be a concern, so a move during the daytime might be something to consider. It is also safer moving bees when you are able to see. When I screen bees at night, I generally wait till morning to move them so I can see what I am doing.

#18 ·
This is going to be really interesting. As I also wouldn't be able to lift my two largest colonies alone, I'll separate and restack them in my truck right beside where they have been. Later in the day - when settles a bit I'll drive them off to the new site.
Then the smaller hives can reap the excess bees until there is time to move them also. Each being in one box I can easily move them into the truck late evening once all the bees are back. I have no idea when our honey flows are but I'm sure they'll just about pack two boxes by Halloween.

#19 ·
Do you have a trailer that you could use or borrow? I found it to be fairly easy to move mine this spring along (even after recent back surgery) using a trailer with ramps. Strap the hives together after closing them. Use a hand cart for the moving and let it do most of the work. I placed a small piece of plywood on the bottom of the hand cart before sliding it under the hives as I use SBB, that kept the bottom of the hand cart from pushing up through the SBB. I was also able to place the trailer and ramps in such a position that the trailer/ramps were at a smaller incline (sitting on a slightly sloped surface rather than flat) which made getting the hives into the trailer much easier. The hives were two deeps and 1 medium (the medium filled with honey/sugar water) and I really had no problems at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.