Thread: mite control

twind59 Guest

Question

Does anyone remember if tests were ever done on a product called Mavrick to see if it controls varroa mites? I was thinking that I remember something about it being used in Canada.

I believe it is just fluvenate, same as the active ingredient in Apistan. But I would not recommend it. It was just a cheap way to get some of the effects of Apistan but it has none of the time release properties. It would be a violation of the application directions and it would probably give them an overdose.

If you want cheap, effective, softer chemical, mite control, you'd be better off with something else, like Oxalic acid vapor or FGMO or Thymol or something.

This from the book Webster/Delaplane book ‘Mites of the Honey Bee’: “October 20, 1987--The Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (USDA APHIS) approved a Section 18 crisis exemption to use plywood strips soaked with fluvalinate (Mavrik or Spur) as a survey tool for certification to move colonies.” That of course was years back when the mite first appeared and before Apistan was available.

Some beekeepers in the past did illegally make up their own mite treatments by soaking dry wooden strips in Mavrik, Klartan, etc. for a few days, drying them and then inserting them into their hives. As Michael points out, besides being against the law, their is no reliable way to control the dosage when that is done.

I was given a method of using Mavrik for mites last night. I was told to mix Crossfire or Agri-oil and Mavrik one to one. Take those thick shop towels and rip them in 3rds. Soak them in the mix and squeeze all you can out of them. Place one on top of the topbars of frames per hive. You buy this stuff at feed stores like the Farmers Co-op. He has about 1500 hives and can not aford the strips or time to fog. I told him about Topbarguys OA vaporizer and told him I would give him the results of the treatment as soon as I could get back into the hive. He said he is always looking for a cheaper/better way of treating colonies for mites and/or SHB.

As I pointed out in my previous reply, some beekeepers in the past illegally made up their own mite treatments with Mavrik. After reading Hillybillynursery's post, apparently some people still are.

Yep,Also 4oz,of Mavrick to a gal of water,spray the landing & inside of the top cover of the hive.That has been used all over the country by alot of commercial beekeepers.I also know of some state bee inspectors that use it as well.(not in my state).>>>>Mark

Is this the stuff you are refering to?
    http://www.mavrikaquaflow.com/pdf/22...20Aquaflow.pdf

There is a statement on that page that says in liquid form, it deadly for bees but once it's dried, no problem.

Is that the same stuff Dadant makes call Sucrocide. I have a bottle of it, but havn't tryed it yet.

No, it's not the same as sucracide. Maverick is the same active ingredient as Apistan.

Sucracide is something else entrirely.

Question

A chemistry question regarding the percent of active ingredients.
    =========================================
    Apistan is at 10%. Mavrik is at 23%.

If Mavrik came in a 10 oz bottle, and I added 10 oz of water,
    would the resultant mixture contain 11.5% Tua-fluvalinate?
    =========================================

Yes cutting it is half by percent. Use non clorinaded water as clorine and flouride react easy to other chemicals. We use spring water that has been ran thru a filter for all chemical sprays because of this.