I am getting four 3 pound package bees on Saturday. (4-3-04) I am worried about the temperature. We have a cold front that is coming thru the Middle Tennessee area this week. The temperature for Saturday is expected to be a high close to 60 and a low in the lower 30's. Is it going to be too cold to hive the bees under these conditions? I am worried that the temperature will not even get as warm as they are predicting. My bees are coming from the Walter T Kelley Company. I am driving up to Kentucky to pick them up. I would like to hive them as soon as possibly without causing any undue stress. Please advise. Thanks, Dan W.

Round Top, New York - Northern Catskill Mtns.

I would not worry about temperatures in the 50's or 60's for hiving a package. I have had to do it in the snow and all went well.
    Just put them in and get them closed up.

Last spring I hived 3 packages in the freezing rain. The temp was just below freezing. I just moved quick and made sure to dump bees on the queen cage and closed them up fast. They all made it OK

Wink

<Last spring I hived 3 packages in the freezing rain. The temp was just below freezing. I just moved quick and made sure to dump bees on the queen cage and closed them up fast. They all made it OK>

Another reason to put the packsge directly in the hive it is even faster.

Anything above 50 and they can fly. So theres not even a concern. But you can get by with some colder because they will create some heat in the hive. The only problem is if it's cold enough that they don't climb back up into the cluster before they succomb to the cold. It would have to be pretty cold and I don't think you'll have that problem.

You have no woories about putting a package because of cold here. I am in McMinnville, TN. Just hive them a little earlier in the day( do not wait till dusk like many books say to) If they are above 40 they can make it to cluster. I have a couple of nucs with one frame of brood for mating queens which have alot less than your packages will to keep them warm. Dogwood winter is apon us. Our weather is so unpredicable this time of year. It was 81 here Fri. and tonights low is 36. This is why I am post poning the bee remove till a sunny day as the clouds are keeping the temps down so the bees are not flying much. It is supose to warm up a little by the weekend.