If I'm adding a super with foundation can I use 9 frames or should I start with 10 frames until they are drawn and then go to 9 frames next year? Thanks, Duane in VA.

If you put 9 frames of undrawn comb in the bees will draw it out fine. If you put 8 frames of DRAWN comb in the bees will also draw it fine. If you mix drawn and undrawn comb in 9 frame configuration, it's unpredictable what exactly they will decide to do. If you put 8 frames of undrawn comb in it's unpredictable.

I'd put in 9 if you plan to extract. It's much easier to uncap. I have had trouble getting my comb honey to fit those nice plastic boxes when I do it in 9 frame so I'll be doing 10 frames for comb honey this year.

Hi,

I start with 10 frames. But it can be done with 9. Never had much luck with 8 frames of foundation. Some colonies will bugger up 9 foundations, but only a few. I start with 10 and reduce to 9 the following year. With using small cell I may stick with 10 for a few years before going to 9.

Clay

I think ten frames draws out best. I don't like putting a full super of foundation on the hive at once though.
    Above the queen excluder, place a super with six frames foundation in the centre and two drawn frames on either side at the onset of a honey flow. It seem the bees work the outside ones last and this way you don't get left with undrawn foundation. Super the rest of the hive with drawn foundation. When your first pull comes along and they are not fully drawn, leave them for the next pull.
    I also sometimes place a frame of foundation into a nine frame super.

Ian

I alway go with 10 frame,then wait until they pull about 80% of that& add another,they seem to draw it better for me anyway,