I know I read this somewhere, but can't remember where.

I am trying to finish up my supers, and reclaim them. They are in various stages of capped and open honey. I am taking out the capped ones and leaving they rest for the bees to finish capping.

Yesterday I took out four frames and extracted them, but it's kind of a pain to get everything all messy for four frames of honey.

Is there a way to store the capped frames until I have a lager number to extract?

I stack them up on the kitchen floor for weeks. Can't say it pleases my family, but I don't have anywhere else to store them. As long as the ants don't discover them you can keep them indefinitely. I'd put down some cardboard or something because inevitably some comb is broken and leaking somewhere in there.

Back when I was helping my commercial friend, we stacked our supers in the honey house for a week or so until the girl who did the extracting could do so. We used a flat piece of plywood on the bottom and a commercial cover on top and stacked them so we could move them with a handtruck.

Be very careful about leaving full or even wet honey supers anywhere besides on top of a strong hive. If you live in small hive beetle territory (original post was from Virginia and we’ve got them) you may be inviting a messy disaster. With SHB are present you should extract the same day that the supers are removed and return the wet supers that evening.

Unless you are reusing them for a fall honey flow I would just leave them on the hive. Why are you taking them off?

Rainesridge, this is my first year taking excess honey, and I was under the impression that I should take them off to store them for winter, and it was better to winter your bees in two deeps or such.

It's a long time until winter. Are you planning on extracting them sometimes? Are you doing comb honey? What are your intentions in regards to the supers?

Storing in two deeps is correct. But I would not take off honey until after the flow is over. If one super is full just add another super until they stop filling them. Then take them all off at once, extract then store them. You are doing to much work.

I didn't think that there was much in the way of a flow going on around here, and read that somwhere around the fourth of July is a good time to take it off so they can build up stores for themselves. I also read that if you don't take it off in the summer that the bees will start to eat it.

Depending on your area you are correct. Here in N.IL the flow is just starting real good. we should keep going for a month if the weather permits. You are probley doing it correct for your area. good luck. I would still feed your bees in the fall for overwintering.

If the bees eat it, it's because they need food. Isn't that what it's there for?