Question

Our club uses and observation hive to enhance our displays at local festivals and events. This last weekend I pulled a frame of bees and after finding the queen included her in the observation hive. Took the frame out Friday afternoon and returned it to the hive on Sunday afternoon. Although I took no precautions returning the frame to the hive, should I have? How long before some sort of reintroduction would be necessary?

Thanks for your responses in advance.

Pete
    Bena, VA

I can't say for sure, but I'd guess they wouldn't reject her in that period of time. But that may be pushing it. They probably would have started some queen cells by then.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

>Although I took no precautions returning the frame to the hive, should I have?

No precautions or reintroductions would be necessary. The queen is already accepted by the bees present on the frame you removed, and rejection would not be a concern.

>How long before some sort of reintroduction would be necessary?

Theoretically, there would be no time limit for placing the frame with queen back in ob hive, because the queen is already accepted by the bees on the frame that was removed. The only limiting factor might be if the ob hive already replaced the queen. Then the bees would be faced with the dilemma of which queen to keep. As observed by Huber, the bees would seize both queens, and hold them until a decision can be made on which to keep.