I'm about to do some late splits. I would like to try caucasians from bolling bee farms. Has anyone tried them? What are your experiences?

the meanest bees I have ever worked with.

Wow, that's a statement rainesridgefarms. On the web site it reads: "The Caucasian bee is the gentlest race of honeybee, making it an attractive bee for all beekeepers, especially for hobbyist and novice beekeepers;"
    Did you try them more than once? Did you buy several queens and they were all the same? Just trying to get some info. I like the idea of excessive propolis production. I sell alot of it, and on the years that honey production is low it's nice to have an alternative source of income.

Where can I get good Caucasian Queens? Venders?

I have two colonies of bees from bolling bees at present. One is quite gentle the other is a bit more hotter but handles fine with smoke. I wouldn't be afraid to get more bees from them. They aren't the gentlest bees I've ever seen but are not even close to the worst. Hottest I ever seen were buckfast cross and one particular nwc colony comes to mind......lol. Bolling is under new management now and I think you will see much improvement in the stock over the next few years. As for other caucasian breeders York sometimes offeres them but hasn't in awhile. Hmmmm.....well there really isn't another breeders that have bees that hold "truer" to a more caucasian type bee in the US that i can think of.

Clay

I have two hives of Grays from Bolling Bee Farm. They are strong & healthy, but as the guys pointed out they are not the most mild mannered bees. I have 8 other hives - Russian, NWC and Feral Stock. On average I get stung once a month working these hives. The Grays are a bit more defensive. I get stung every time I open the hive. I am happy with their productivity, but would only recommend them to someone with a few years of experiance.

Martin
    Bowling Green,KY

Thought I might give my 2 cents worth. I worked over 10 colonies of bolling bee's gray caucasians today. I live in the deep south and we're in a dearth w/ temps in the mid-90's. Only sting I took was from mashing a bee. I wear no gloves and no suit, just a short sleeved white t-shirt, veil, and khakis. Today I could have worked them without a veil.