Thread: cold flight

I was out this last weekend checking the amount of feed in my hive top feeders and noticed that the one hive that I have been most concerned about was comming and going like it was summer! I introduced this SMR colony as a three lb package early this last spring and it took forever to get going. It had all year and it never did fill out the top hive body, that is why I am keeping an eye on it and plenty of feed. At first I thought that my nasty tempered Buckfast were robbing it, but they were not flying at all. I peeked inside and saw that they were ok but not feeding on the syrup. My Italian's were out and about by twos and threes, but those slow to get going SMR's were very active, and it was only in the low 40's! I had considered doing away with the Smr's because of the slow growth and poor output.
    My questions: Is it common for SMR's to take flight in low temeratures, and do you also see the same slow growth and output that I do? Are you also thinking of requeening with another breed? Is there another breed that flies at even lower temps?
    I will be off deer hunting starting Wednesday and will be back Sunday, thanks for your input!
    Bill

To clairify the above statement; The Buckfast and Italian's seem to not be feeding on the syrup, the SMR's are feeding heavily.
    Bill

Hi Bill, I changed over to New World Carniolans last year. They have delighted me with their work. They start early and stay late. At 45 degrees, they are flying. I have had no contact with SMR's. Carnies have a wonderful temperment.

------------------
    Jim

I have been giving the Carniolans some thought, that could be a good queen replacement for my SMR colony. I know that I plan to get at least one Cordovan package to keep at home in town.

you won't be sorry if you get the cordovan's they are a very very gentle and quite good looking most are a bright yellow. A real pleasure to work with will be getting another package this spring from c.f. kohonen and son from california .you won't be sorry, and great honey producers as well
    Walt
    Brunswick, ohio

I think it is important to remember that SMR is a genitic trait not a specific race. You could have Itailians or Carniolians that have the SMR gene.

You may want to ask the breeder that you purchased the queen from what type of stock he keeps in his yard. The daughters of the SMR breeder queen would have mated with what ever drones dominate that particular breeding area.

The SMR gene is "stuck" in a particular breeder queen through inbreeding. Mating the breeder queen's daughters with non SMR drones may reduce the dominace of the SRR trait. However it will help them have a higher level of genitic variety and a better brood pattern.

Thanks, I'll do that. I was under the impression that he SMR's were of Russian origin. I can tell you that mine are quite dark, but I will check with Mid-Con Agri. to find out for sure. I did have a conversation with Joli about the poor preformance and she had gotten the same comments from others as well.
    Bill