Thread: what to charge?

i have a friend that wants to buy a hive but wants me to get it all ready and take care of it and harvest the honey in the fall for him, of course this includes putting the supers & frames together, buying & hiving the pkg of bees, medicating them, etc, etc. He gets to write it all off on his taxes if i give him a receipt, he's a farmer. My question is... how much do i charge. So far i've charged him $250.00 pretty much for 3# pkg bees ($67.00) and the hive parts, also i used my drawn-out comb that i could've used for my own bee pkgs that i hived. ANY suggestions would be great, i don't want to get jipped nor do i want to jip him, but at the same time...time is money.
    Deanna

Dee:
    Just curious, but what happens if the hive dies? Are you responsible?

Round Top, New York - Northern Catskill Mtns.

deleted

[This message has been edited by MountainCamp (edited April 28, 2004).]

There are a whole lot of issues, questions, and potential problems here.
    What is the farmer looking for from this arangement?
    Honey?
    Pollination?
    Tax write-off?
    To be able to say he has a hive?
    What are you looking for from this arangement?
    Anything that YOU charge HIM and he writes off on his taxes, YOU'LL have to report and handle on your taxes.
    Who is responsible for the hive's replacement if it dies, is destroyed (bears), or is required to be destroyed (AFB)?
    Where will the hive be kept, one of your yards or his property?
    Will you have to travel to take care of the hive?
    Does he get the benefit of the pollination services of this hive?
    Who gets the honey, if there is any, and if he gets it, bulk or bottled?
    Who supplies any materials or equipment required in the future?
    How does this agreement cover you or he ending it?

I would sit down and calculate what your expenses are so far, time and equipment. I would also look at how much time you can reasonably expect to spend on this hive per year, and give him an estimate on the upkeep costs. I would also present some of the problems and issues to him.
    The time and expenses spent per hive soup to nuts may not make this a viable situation. It may be easier to set up a simple pollination agreement or just sell him honey at a fair price.

Inital cost of hive and bees: $250
    Bi-Weekly Inspections for 7-8 months: $100
    Harvesting Honey: $10 per super
    Fall Medications: $20
    Fall Feeding (If necessary): $20
    Replacement queen: $20
    (Figure every 2 years due to failure, etc.)
    Every move of the hive: $40

Having your 4 year old daughter want to help you inspect the hives: Priceless

I'd charge him about $3.25 per 12 oz. squeeze bear.

>What is the farmer looking for from this arrangement?
    He had said that for just this year for me to take care of them and for me to help “show him the ropes”

>Honey?
    Yes, for himself and as well to sell I guess

>Pollination?
    No I don’t believe so, he has a veal farm & very little acreage

>Tax write-off?
    You could say that he’s rolling in the dough right now, so he has money to spend, yet he’s stingy with it. He was one of the few veal farmers that they accepted veal from, due to no steroids in them

>To be able to say he has a hive?
    Probably ???

>What are you looking for from this arrangement?
    Just to help him out, my husband is actually the one that told him YES, even though I’m the one that does all the work, I myself would rather just sell him the honey

>Anything that YOU charge HIM and he writes off on his taxes, YOU'LL have to report and handle on your taxes.
    As of right now I don’ t claim any profit from selling honey, I don’t even have a tax id #

>Who is responsible for the hive's replacement if it dies, is destroyed (bears), or is required to be destroyed >(AFB)? Where will the hive be kept, one of your yards or his property?
    I was planning on numbering MY hive that is next to his on his property, just to show ownership ahead of time. Like I said though he’ll just write it off if his hive dies, etc (he’s already told me this)
    I myself live on a busy road/highway, RT 14, with only 1+ acreage so I really do depend on land from other people to hive my colonies (of which I’ll need to bring up on another posting, someone’s offering me a spot next to there buckwheat field-compensation to them??)

>Will you have to travel to take care of the hive?
    Yes, but he only lives about 5 minutes away

>Does he get the benefit of the pollination services of this hive?
    I’ll have a hive on his land too, so really I’m making out good due to the fact that I’ll get honey as well, I’m not into making money with the pollination part of it yet, I realize this could be a good income as well but I’m only 3 Springs into beekeeping right now. (lots to learn)

>Who gets the honey, if there is any, and if he gets it, bulk or bottled?
    He’ll be getting the honey, bulk – his own buckets, if he wants lets say, the plastic bears that I have he’ll need to buy them off me. I figure I will either charge him for extracting or keep some of the honey??? Not sure yet

>Who supplies any materials or equipment required in the future?
    He will, other than medications, I have enough to cover his one hive, I’ll just need to be compensated. He’s told me that he’ll buy & keep a set of tools at his place (smoker, hive tool), right now I’m using my own stuff

>How does this agreement cover you or he ending it?
    He should be good to go to take care of his own come next year, maybe I should do some sort of a contract??
    >I would sit down and calculate what your expenses are so far, time and equipment. I would also look at how >much time you can reasonably expect to spend on this hive per year, and give him an estimate on the upkeep >costs. I would also present some of the problems and issues to him.
    What would be a reasonable pay per hour be? Or should I just charge a flat rate for every time I need to do something with the hive? I will have to go to his house just to take care of mine anyways
    thanks for all, Deanna

This is the trouble with mixing straight business and a folks you know. I would tend the hive for whatever he is wanting to pay and then next year just pitch in occasionally for nothing. That way there is no weirdness because you have a hive there too.

This is just a hunch but I suspect that you will be tending his hive as long as you have your hives on his property. It doesn't sound as if he really is interested in managing the hive himself. If you want to keep your own bees healthy it will be to your advantage to keep his bees healthy, too. In the long run you will be happier if you just decide that you will manage his hive in exchange for keeping your hives on his property. If that is not what you want it would probably be a good idea to make certain he pays for all of his equipment up front and you should keep an eye open for a new location.
    George

Taking into consideration the additional information. I would as suggested to tend and look after his hive to protect your hive. You are there anyway and your hive is placed on his property. I would have him buy anything required and then give it to you to work with.

With regard to placing a hive on someone else's land. I usually supply the land owner with honey as needed. Most of my yards are on friends places, so I get another yard for bees and they get some honey and maybe some pollination.

[This message has been edited by MountainCamp (edited April 28, 2004).]