Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question

Which frames do you find work the best? All plastic frames or wooden frames with plastic foundation? I will be expanding to eight hives this year and will be most likely using new equipment and was wondering which to purcahse?
    Founder and co-investor in Jaybee Honey

I prefer the one piece plastic. No assembling needed.

Ian
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Wood frames with wax foundation is the only thing I use.

I use whatever is cheaper!
    If you see me runnin' you'd better keep up!
    http://hillshivery.blogspot.com/

I think that i will go with the wooden frames with the plastic core foundation. Unless somebody can truly convince me otherwise, as it is also the less inexpensive method and i am a beekeper on a budget!

beekeeper39: I use Wooden frames with plastic core foundation (assembled) from both Mann Lake and Brushy Mountain. There are almost exactly the same in construction. I have had no issues but find that I get the best results during a major honey flow. Wooden frames and plastic foundation is all that I use.

I've used them all. I like them all, except for the cell size. PermaComb is nice, if you want plastic, because you've got FULLY drawn comb, instead of foundation.

But I'm doing small cell so I either use foundationless (no foundation at all) or small cell foundation. I wish I'd known about small cell sooner. I have a LOT of plastic foundation I won't use now.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I am using wooden frames with snap in plastic foundation dipped in wax. I am starting to lean towards the 4.9mm (small cell) also like Michael Bush. There is another Bee Keeper close by that is now turning totally over to Small Cell and I am watching his progress very closely.
    I just wished that this would be the solution to the mite problem and chemical dependency.

>I just wished that this would be the solution to the mite problem and chemical dependency.

It seems to me to be.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Like others, I have used them all. My bees prefer wax foundation first, plastic foundation with wood frames second, and all plastic last.

I prefer the all plastic. Would someone please e-mail my bees and let them know?

I'm also trying small cell wax foundation this year, and foundation-less natural comb (starter strips in the old wood frames, with wires to give them support).

Thanks, MB. This was one of your ideas your shared.
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

I am using all wooden frames and will convert my last 100 hives to wax small cell.
    Clint
    Clinton Bemrose<br />just South of Lansing Michigan<br />Beekeeping since 1964

I REALLY enjoy NOT building frames. After seeing the vast difference in varroa counts on standard cells compared to 5.1 PC, I will NEVER use large cell. I am eagerly awaiting the 4.9 SC fully drawn plastic due out this spring.

Acceptance is not a problem when they have no choice.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

"Acceptance is not a problem when they have no choice"

I love that phrase! Does it work on teenagers as well?

Hey! Back to bees--who/which company is coming out with 4.9mm plastic this spring?
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

gfcg731, I, as a teen, can say that it sometimes works, and sometimes doesn't: depends on the situation. By the way, for those interested, I am fifteen years old and will have eight hives this spring [img]smile.gif[/img]

Thats great beekeeper39! I have always loved bees since I was 6 years old. I used to catch them and keep them as my "pet". I think that is why I keep bees now.

Congrats and I hope you keep doing it!
    Chef Isaac..Culinary Arts and Honey are a sweet mix! http://www.sweetascanbeehoneyfarm.com & http://www.adoptahive.info

&gt;I am fifteen years old and will have eight hives this spring

One of the scary things about beekeeping is that there are very few young ones. Most of us are over 50 and a lot over 70. It's good to see that there are some young beekeepers.

&lt;&lt;Hey! Back to bees--who/which company is coming out with 4.9mm plastic this spring?&gt;&gt;

www.honeysupercell.com

There was a thread on them a while back, but I wasn't able to find it.
    So there's at least two of us under 30 now? Interesting. My best friend gets discouraged now and then by the fact that all his hobbies, mainly gardening and poultry, only seem to attract elderly folks. I always tell him they're just the ones with time to attend meetings

Hi there. I have had full plastic frames and wood frames with wired foundation, and wood frames with black plastic foundation. I will be going with wood frames with plastic foundation from now on. I don't care for the all plastic ones because the seem to build more burr comb. I think wood frames are the way to go. They will last a long time as long as you put them together right.
    Columbia City, Indiana

Beekeeper39- good to see I'm not the only young one. I started beekeeping when I was 16 on a whim after reading Howland Blackiston's "Beekeeping for Dummies" on a rainy day. I'm 18 now and have 4 hives, but I'm looking to go small scale commercial with my dad. Not sure how that's going to work when I get out of undergrad and start med school. Good thing dad's close to retirement age!!
    Central IL... where there are more hogs than people and more soybeans than hogs and people put together.

You know, Michael, the reason there aren't more young beekeepers is because it's so hard to find help getting started and learning all of the basics. I can tell you from experience that it's very difficult to teach yourself all the ins and outs solely from reading books about it. Until this year I never had a mentor of any kind. I just got lucky that nothing really bad happened. Forums like this are working to fix that problem.
    Central IL... where there are more hogs than people and more soybeans than hogs and people put together.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast