Question

Boy! Have I screwed up!

The metal frame rests I have ordered, do not fit the 3/8" rabbit in my bodies. The rests measure about 7/16". Any suggestions?

Dave W

Maybe you are trying to put them in the wrong way. The idea is for the frame to contact the least amount of surface area, so it goes with the "ridge" up. It should be used on boxes where the rests are 5/8" deep. I think you can get away with them with less of a rabbet if you use them on all the boxes, but it may mess up your bee space on the inner cover. It is best to either use them on all of your boxes or none of them so you don't mess up the bee space between the boxes. I don't use them anymore. I have used them and I've used metal spacers (9 frame and 8 frame) but now I have a spacer like a metal comb to space the frames evenly.

Let me explain the shape of my notch (rabbit).

The side of my hive body is 3/4" thick. Beginning at the top of the body and at the outside, I have a horizontal surface 3/8" wide, then a vertical drop of 15/16" to the bottom of the notch which is 3/8" wide (Z-shaped).

The frame top-bars are recessed 3/8" below the top of the body. The bars are 3/8" thick and rest on the 'ridge' of the metal frame rest which is 3/16" high, making the notch 15/16" from top to bottom. (3/8+3/8+3/16).

I think I can place the metal rest on the notch and shim the side (between the metal and the body) about 1/16".

I dont plan to use the metal rest in my shallow suppers, thinking they wont be in place long enough for the bees to glue the frames too tight. (Right?). My shallow super notch is only 3/4" from top to bottom. (3/8" bee space + 3/8" top-bar.)

>Let me explain the shape of my notch (rabbit).
    rabbet?

>The side of my hive body is 3/4" thick. Beginning at the top of the body and at the outside, I have a horizontal surface 3/8" wide, then a vertical drop of 15/16" to the bottom of the notch which is 3/8" wide (Z-shaped).

I believe these are made for the metal frame rests as this is slightly greater drop than the ones that are not made for the rests.

>The frame top-bars are recessed 3/8" below the top of the body. The bars are 3/8" thick and rest on the 'ridge' of the metal frame rest which is 3/16" high, making the notch 15/16" from top to bottom. (3/8+3/8+3/16).

>I think I can place the metal rest on the notch and shim the side (between the metal and the body) about 1/16".
    I'm not sure why you want to shim it? I just center the rest and nail it at both ends through the holes that are provided.

>I dont plan to use the metal rest in my shallow suppers, thinking they wont be in place long enough for the bees to glue the frames too tight. (Right?). My shallow super notch is only 3/4" from top to bottom. (3/8" bee space + 3/8" top-bar.)

Sounds like the shallows are made to not use the frame rests, so i think you are correct.

Dave -

Who did you order the rests from?

The ones I get from Dadant measure 3/8" x a little less than 1/2". The 1/2" side have 5 holes in it, evenly spaced apart. The 3/8" side sits over the notch you made on the hive body where the frame ends rest. Use 5/8" nails to hold it into place.

I would still apply the metal rests on the honey supers. Bees will easily glue up the frame ends during the honey flow.

Regards,
    Barry

My main concern in using or not using them is to make sure that the bee space on the top and bottom are the same in all of your boxes or there will be a lot of burr comb.