I have five questions on this subject:
    1) Does anyone know the precise depth for the rabbet on hive bodies? Is it 5/8"?
    2) How much space should remain at the top of the box once frames are installed... (1/8")?
    3) How much space should remain at the bottom of the box once frames are installed... (1/8"? 1/4"?)? That would create a 1/4 - 3/8" beespace when boxes are stacked together.
    4) Is the depth different for deep brood bodies than medium supers?
    5) Why do the deep bodies typically have metal frame rests while the medium supers do not?

The plans on this website specify a depth of 5/8" for the rabbet, which would leave a 1/8" space once frames are installed. Unfortunately it seems the space above the frames is different depending on the box size or manufacturer used. Even the plans on this website are inconsistent. The plan for deeps specifies 9 5/8" body with 9 1/8" frames which provides 1/8" on top and 3/8" on the bottom, yet the plan for mediums specifies a body depth of 6 5/8" with frames of 6 1/4" which results in 1/8" on top and only 1/4" on the bottom.

I notice the Walter Kelley's Deep bodies come with metal frame rests (to cut down on propolis buildup and decrease the number of squished bees, however, their medium supers do not. Wouldn't it make sense to have the metal frame rests on all boxes?

I make my own boxes and I cut the frame rests at 3/4" the boxes are 9 1/2" so that leaves 3/8" bee space when stacked.....it works for me and the bees seem to like it.....btw I use metal frame rests (flat kind) so that scraping them of propolis does not damage the boxes.......

------------------
    You have to stop and smell the roses......but please watch out for my bees.

jfischer Guest

> 1) Does anyone know the precise depth for the rabbet on hive bodies? Is it 5/8"?

It varies from supplier to supplier, as it must take into
    account both the top-bar thickness, and the basic scheme
    of the maker of the hive bodies ("top", "spilt", or "bottom"
    bee space.

> 2) How much space should remain at the top of the box once frames are installed... (1/8")?

Again, this depends upon your goal - if your intent is to make boxes
    with split space (1/2 bee space at both the top and bottom of every box)
    then this would be about right. For either of the other two schemes,
    it would be "wrong".

> 3) How much space should remain at the bottom of the box once frames are installed...
    > (1/8"? 1/4"?)? That would create a 1/4 - 3/8" beespace when boxes are stacked together.

See above, it all depends upon your intent, and what
    existing equipment you want to match.

> 4) Is the depth different for deep brood bodies than medium supers?

It shouldn't be, should it?
    This is the essential problem - no standards. I have tried to interest
    others in forming a "standards body" to hash this exact issue of
    "standardized and compatible equipment" in terms of bee space over
    on Bee-L, but have not seen much interest develop.

> 5) Why do the deep bodies typically have metal frame rests while the medium supers do not?

I did not know that this was the case. Perhaps the hive bodies and supers
    you have seen have been equipped to allow the deeps to avoid being gooed up
    with propolis, which is one advantage of the metal frame rests, while the
    honey supers are assumed to not be left on long enough to become very gooed.

> Unfortunately it seems the space above the frames is different depending on the box
    > size or manufacturer used.

Exactly - makes you want to bang their heads together a few times, doesn't it?

> Even the plans on this website are inconsistent.

At least you noticed. Most folks don't.

First, I'd have to agree with everyone. Jim has pointed out the lack of standards and Flewster says he makes his 3/4". Most of what I make is for a nuc or a horizontal hive and I make them 3/4" so I'll have 3/8" beespace and I can use migratory covers.

>1) Does anyone know the precise depth for the rabbet on hive bodies? Is it 5/8"?

There is that lack of standards but the most common space I see is 5/8"

>2) How much space should remain at the top of the box once frames are installed... (1/8")?

Again the lack of standards but there should be at least 1/4" (minimum beespace)

>3) How much space should remain at the bottom of the box once frames are installed... (1/8"? 1/4"?)? That would create a 1/4 - 3/8" beespace when boxes are stacked together.

Again the lack of standards but the most common is 1/8"

>4) Is the depth different for deep brood bodies than medium supers?

Obviously a deep is 9 5/8" and a medium is 6 5/8" so I assume you mean on the rabbet? Most seem to be 5/8".

>5) Why do the deep bodies typically have metal frame rests while the medium supers do not?

I didn't know that there was a typical arrangement. I've had them both ways in about equal amounts in the past and haven't seen one with metal frame rests for a while. I think they are more trouble than they are worth.

>The plans on this website specify a depth of 5/8" for the rabbet, which would leave a 1/8" space once frames are installed.

That is typical.

>Unfortunately it seems the space above the frames is different depending on the box size or manufacturer used.

Exactly.

>Even the plans on this website are inconsistent. The plan for deeps specifies 9 5/8" body with 9 1/8" frames which provides 1/8" on top and 3/8" on the bottom, yet the plan for mediums specifies a body depth of 6 5/8" with frames of 6 1/4" which results in 1/8" on top and only 1/4" on the bottom.

You'll find just as much inconsistency in all the manufacturers.

>I notice the Walter Kelley's Deep bodies come with metal frame rests (to cut down on propolis buildup and decrease the number of squished bees, however, their medium supers do not. Wouldn't it make sense to have the metal frame rests on all boxes?

I think the theory is that you do more manipulation of each frame in the brood chamber. Supers you usually just peruse lightly to see how full and if they're capped and don't spend a lot of time. Also, less propolis in the brood chamber means you disrupt them less when manipulating frames. At least theoretically. I think the difference is minimal if it's even noticeable.