I appear to have three hives with no queens.The bees have no brood, are filling the brood chamber with honey, and absolutely won't work any new foundation . I even put drawn foundation on, they won't do anything but hang out in it. All three hives are full of bees, and some are getting aggressive. the bees are buckfast and I would like to keep them that way( buckfast not aggressive). So ordering new ones is not an option ,At least if I can help it.
    Weavers price I think is 26$. and I don't like the idea of getting bees from as far south as Texas. I tried putting a frame of eggs in one hive, all they did was raise them up and cap. They made no cells. Two days ago I put a frame of eggs into one of the other hives . these eggs were smaller than the first frame I tried. I'm thinking the problem was too old of eggs the first time. On the second frame these eggs were about the size of the eyelet of a needle.
    I'm hoping that they make more than one queen cell.If they do, whats the chances of them all being on one frame ? If they all are on one frame whats the best way to place a cell in the other hives?
    If all else fails what do you think about combining a small swarm that I've captured with each one. I have no idea what type of bees they are.( not mine) I've caught four so far this year from around the area. I've never tried the newspaper trick. A friend said he hasn't had much luck with it.
    Or should I just order some local italians and try them?

>I appear to have three hives with no queens.The bees have no brood, are filling the brood chamber with honey, and absolutely won't work any new foundation.

They are probably queenright, about to swarm, or already swarmed. They either now have a virgin queen that isn't laying yet, or they are about to swarm.

> I even put drawn foundation on, they won't do anything but hang out in it.

If they don't need comb they don't draw it. If they do need comb they do draw it. Being queenless will not stop them from gathering nectar. Having supers will not stop them from backfilling the brood nest to stop the queen from laying so they can swarm.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesswarmcontrol.htm

> All three hives are full of bees, and some are getting aggressive. the bees are buckfast and I would like to keep them that way( buckfast not aggressive).

You haven't had a lot of buckfasts lately? I've never had hotter bees than the Buckfasts I had back in 2001. And that was right after they swarmed. You sound like you may be in the same position.

> So ordering new ones is not an option ,At least if I can help it.
    Weavers price I think is 26$. and I don't like the idea of getting bees from as far south as Texas.

Exactly. But you apparently already did and they apparently have now been replaced.

> I tried putting a frame of eggs in one hive, all they did was raise them up and cap. They made no cells.

"Raised them up and capped them"? Meaning they didn't raise a queen? Pretty good proof they are not queenless.

> Two days ago I put a frame of eggs into one of the other hives . these eggs were smaller than the first frame I tried. I'm thinking the problem was too old of eggs the first time. On the second frame these eggs were about the size of the eyelet of a needle.

An egg is young enough to raise a queen. A one day old larvae is young enough to raise a queen.

>I'm hoping that they make more than one queen cell.If they do, whats the chances of them all being on one frame ?

I doubt they will make any, since I don't believe they are queenless, but if they do it's likely they will have several to a frame.

> If they all are on one frame whats the best way to place a cell in the other hives?

A frame at a time. [img]smile.gif[/img] Unless you have unwired wax. Then I'd come back and cut an area around each cell about 10 days after you put in the eggs.

>If all else fails what do you think about combining a small swarm that I've captured with each one.

Where did the small swarm come from?

> I have no idea what type of bees they are.( not mine) I've caught four so far this year from around the area. I've never tried the newspaper trick. A friend said he hasn't had much luck with it.

A newspaper combine usually works well, but since I don't beleive they are queenless I think it won't matter much one way or the other.

>Or should I just order some local italians and try them?

Or wait until the new queens are laying in about two weeks or so.

If you don't have multiple eggs (which might mean laying workers) and you gave them eggs and they didn't raise a queen, there is only one logical conclusion. They have a queen.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmath.htm
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thanks alot Michael.
    I'm learning!
    The swarms I've caught are from around the county ,A friend of mine has an exterminating business and has several calls a year. I guess I shouldn't have labled the one swarm small. it was about the size of a two or three pound package.
    Thanks again

trackpacker sezs:
    The bees have no brood,

tecumseh ask:
    how long have they been in this condition. you mention later that you placed brood into the box and they simply capped the the frames... so at least it sounds as if the hive has been in this state for some time.

then trackpacker adds:
    I don't like the idea of getting bees from as far south as Texas.

tecumseh ask:
    so what is you reservation about obtaining queens/bees from the south? just a curiousity question, I should add.

>"Raised them up and capped them"? Meaning they didn't raise a queen? Pretty good proof they are not queenless.

Did they raise the brood in the frame? Did they cap the brood in the frame? Did they remove the brood and fill it with honey? I'm still not clear what they did.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Michael, they raised and capped the brood in the frame ,just like everything was normal.

Tecumseh, No offence ment towards texas bees, but the dear old fella a got these buckfast off of said, the last queens he got from Weavers turned the hives aggressive. I don't know, I wasn't there. As far as southern bees; I started with packages from Georgia and they are great bees.But if I can stay with my own or bees from this area I'm pretty sure I'm not importing anything extra. Maybe I'm just paranoid , but last year when I got started is when the word was going around that bees brought to Ohio from Georgia had hive beetles , it was even in the local paper. I thought oh great! turned out mine were fine, and I was relieved. By the way have you seen the price Wearvers asking?

Weaver does seem to be taking lessons from Exxon...