Hybrid View

Hi All, I need some expert advice. I split a strong hive 4 days ago. First I will tell you how I did this. I had 2 hive bodies on this hive and they are both full of bees and the hive is quite heavy.

We seperated the 2 hive bodies and placed 2 Queen Excluders and an Irmie Shim between them and turned the top hive 180 degrees. This hive has been quite aggressive in the past.

My question is should I have done this differently? Also how long should I wait until I turn the top hive back around and place it on its own bottom board? I plan to use a screened bottom board on both hives. How long should I wait to open the hives to check their progress? Dale

Dale:

You wrote:
    My question is should I have done this differently? Also how long should I wait until I turn the top hive back around and place it on its own bottom board? I plan to use a screened bottom board on both hives. How long should I wait to open the hives to check their progress?

Reply:
    It is done okay this way as the bees will perceive a failing queen in the top super and begin to raise one with the eggs and open brood there. You did check to make sure that both supers contained viable eggs and open brood so a queen could be raised in the queenless one, right?

You will need to wait about three weeks and then check both sides for queen or at least the queenless side if you know where the queen was when you split the two broodboxes apart. When you find they are both queen right, then set apart. Progress can be noted by finding the queen and looking for other things you want then.

regards,

Dee A. Lusby