Thread: extracting

Hi well we survived the hurricane, thank god. Today i removed my 1st shallow of capped honey, hurray. we got it in and removed the cappings and set to drain , well it seems that the honey is barely draining out of the comb.should this take a looong time? im new and no extractor available here . thanks malcolm

Do you have a Club in your area??????? Sometimes they have a club extractor that new BeeKeepers can use.

Or maybe you could find another beekeeper in the area that will help you. Generally they are more than willing to help new BeeKeepers.

I assume you have the comb upside down. You could try it on it's side to drain first one side and then the other. If it's in a 100 degree farenheit room maybe SOME of it will drain. I don't know if you've watched, but bees use the surface tension of the honey to hold it in the cell while they fill and cap it. It stays even though there is honey above the opening because of that surface tension. Basically at room temps it probably will never drain. If you don't have wires in it, I would cut it for comb honey or if you really want it extracted, I'd squish the comb and let it drain and then melt down the wax when you're done.

Of course if you can borrow an extractor...