Thread: HFCS longevity?

How long will high fructose corn syrup last in a container that is sealed?
    I transferred my 55 gallons into 5 gallon buckets. I think I remember being told not to let it freeze. What happens if it freezes?
    Jason

Hi there. Corn syrup is pron to crystalize if not stored at a decent temprature.
    Columbia City, Indiana

I don' know that it spoils. I've had totes for a year and it was still fine, except for the crystalization mentioned above.

Jason

I have about 3 gallons left of a 5 gal bucket that is 18 months old. Right now it is crystalllized, but in October I had it warmed up to where it was ok.

But be sure to mix it up with a stick. It will crystalize on the bottom of the bucket first and you might not know it. Once you warm it up, stir it up good and it will be fine. If you just dip off the top you will get less sugar.

I like it a lot. I plan to start feeding again in Feb. or as soon thereafter as i can.

I am not sure about crystalization, but I did have a discussion with Wooten's in California a couple years back about mold. They said they add a cup of clorox to a 55 gallon drum of syrup. It keeps the lines from getting moldy and the HFCS from going bad. They said the bees have no problem with the clorox, but I am sure thier bees are not stuck inside the hive for as long as some in the north. I assume that could make a difference.

Bjorn
    At first I am thinking, WOW that is powerful chemicals you are pouring in there. THen I realized that it is just chlorine, the same stuff in swimming pools and probably most city folks drinking water.

So probably would work... Mine has not got moldy yet...

I never did it myself. Just passing some information along. I hate feeding. Would rather just move a super from one hive to the next. Less for me to extract and by that time in the year I'm sick and tired extracting.

{I am not sure about crystalization, but I did have a discussion with Wooten's in California a couple years back about mold. They said they add a cup of clorox to a 55 gallon drum of syrup.}

We do the same thing with about 2 miles of maple syrup tap line and the tap holes at the beginning of the season. The chlorine actually leaches out leaving just the salt residue. (which we found really makes the squirrels chew on our lines)