Thread: Milkweed

Hybrid View

Angry

I was looking for bees in the soybeans and come across a bee, dead. hanging from a milkweed flower. When I picked her off the leg remained stuck to the milkweed flower. Is the milkweed flower that sticky or is this a one time thing?

I did find bees in the soybean flowers but they were staying very short time at a flower and moving on. I would guess not much honey collected. They have such a small flower.

------------------
    Erwin

as i recall ,the "milk" in milkweed is rather sticky ,so yes the bee very well could have gotten stuck .
    Zeke

I guess that depends on the variety of milkweed. My bees were working a type of milkweed back in the Spring known as Antelope-Horns and had no problem getting stuck on the plants. We also have Green Milkweed here, but I've never seen the bees in it.

What you found is rather common. Bumble bees and the like have no problem pulling off the milkweed but smaller bees get hung up and sometimes die. Dont worry about it. Not enough will die to be an issue. And milkweed honey is some of my all time favorite.