Is putting weight on a hive cover neccesary? If so how much? A brick, half a concrete block or a full block? What do most Beeks use? I have small Patio wall blocks on now, about 5 or 6 pounds each. I am planning on putting a number on the block for each hive.

Sounds like that should be plenty...especially if your hives are already protected from strong winds which is what the weight is meant to protect against also.

With the winds we have, a brick doesn't give me confidence. Two bricks do. I also tend to put the weight on the side of the hive that gets the wind.
    Waya
    WayaCoyote

I use half blocks

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/nature...e2.jpg&.src=ph

When I place the block so that the holes to the side, it means the colony is queenright and performing fine.

Holes placed so that they are facing forward means there some type of minor problem and I need to refer to this colonies record for assessment. It might indicate for example that the colony either needs tended to more often or is a low performer for some reason and might be a canidate for requeening.

Holes pointing up in the air indicate a colony that may have serious queen problems or disease that need tended to real fast.

I do it this way so that I can do most of my record keeping when I finish working the entire yard, and the positions help me to remember which colony needs what. The blocks will remain in the position I place them as a reminder to get out there and fix what needs fixed.

If the blocks are placed on the top in a haphazard fashion, this means the inspector has visited the yard. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Joe

Hey, thanks for that Joe.
    I also heard of someone who moves the weight into certain quadrants to help them remember even more details. Imagine if you divided the top into a grid 10x10, That's 100 possiblities!! Amazing!
    Waya
    WayaCoyote

Half concrete blocks seem to work well here even during the hurricane season. They also provide an excellent message board as to hive condition.

I tried to place bricks in specific locations for certain things but gave up on it, too confusing for me (can't remember stuff). Now I have 3x5 note cards and pencil in top pocket to write notes on each hive after working it, when back in the house review the note card and enter into a tablet with a page dedicated to each hive, this is my permanent bee record I guess.
    We use a brick on top of each telescoping cover just to keep the lid from blowing off.
    "Younz" have a great day, I will.

this may sound crazy, but I go without the inner cover and the bees glue the cover down. I don't need any weight on them, assuming the hive is healthy enough to produce propolis. no bricks for me.

I use a granite Belgian block on each hive.
    Kinda heavy, but they were free!
    "To bee or not to bee"

>Is putting weight on a hive cover neccesary?

That might depend on where you live. Here it most certainly is and one brick is most certainly too light.

> If so how much? A brick, half a concrete block or a full block?

After haveing all the lids blow off with bricks on them one storm, I put full blocks on them. After lifting the full blocks for a while, I went to two large paving bricks or a half concrete block. The nice thing about the half concrete block is that it's easy to get a hold of.

> What do most Beeks use?

What ever is laying around.

> I have small Patio wall blocks on now, about 5 or 6 pounds each.

I can get by with that on a low hive that's between two taller ones, but I can't get away with that on a tall hive, here.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Hi, I use old break drums or rotors. Free is a good price Dan

I was actually hoping to use the brink method to keep records until a computer program comes out that fits me better than what is out there.
    Chef Isaac..Culinary Arts and Honey are a sweet mix! http://www.sweetascanbeehoneyfarm.com & http://www.adoptahive.info

A common red brick has been good enough to keep the tops on in my neck of the woods, so far anyway. Like Joe I use the positioning of the brick for different indicators relative to the hive's condition. Laying flat, on it's side, on edge, pointing North-South, pointing East-West. All are indicators of conditions ot concers that must be addressed, good or not so good.
    Be Yourself, Everyone Else Is Taken!

I went through Rita here last September. She twisted off 75 yr old, 60ft tall hardwoods mid shank. She blew full concrete block weights off the tops of bird cages, yet she left a styrofoam clam-shell from my computer moniter where I had tossed it beside my shed.

I use a 3"x8"x18" solid concrete pad on the tops of my hives, it weighs as much as a full concrete block but has a much lower profile.
    "The UNKNOWN, huh? That would be SNORBERT ZANGOX over in Waycross."

Feild rocks here.......... for that "back to nature" look. If I didn't have weight on the tops, I'd have no tops.

No weights here - I use ratchet straps.

I love my ratchet straps.
    For precarious stacks of supers, the
    straps attach to screw-in type ground
    stakes rather than simply loop under
    the bottom board.

I keep meaning to use some kind of strap. I'm tired of lifting the rocks and blocks and bricks. Now if I could just find time to do that...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Jim

You mean like mobile home anchors? What a great idea, I have a pile of old mobile home anchors sitting on my property. That might even keep them in place during a hurricane.
    "The UNKNOWN, huh? That would be SNORBERT ZANGOX over in Waycross."